Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mattias76

Cant import decimal numbers from CSV file

Hi,

I cant import decimal numbers from a csv file. The problematic fields in the csv file look like this: … ,0.702,… with a varying number of decimals. Column is by default detected as “Fixed decimal number”, but the decimal is ignored and the result is a whole number (702 for the above example).

I have tried pressing “Edit” before I load the csv file, and changing the data type to “Decimal number”. It doesn’t help, the result is the same.

If I press “detect data type” on the Transform tab, the result is “whole number” and only if use “Text” as data type can I see the decimal point. The problem is then of course that I am not importing numbers, which I need to do.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this seemingly trivial problem?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Many thanks Marcel! Feeling a little embarassed now, but I just found an even simpler solution. There is a setting; "Archive - Options and settings - Options - Regional Settings - Locale" which I changed to English (United States). That did the trick. The data was now correctly interpreted and loaded.

I am located in Sweden and that apparently changed the way "." was interpreted in my CSV-file! 

Thanks again for your help Marcel, have a great day!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

When importing a csv file, you automatically get a step "Changed Type".

In this step,you need to add a culture that uses a decimal point instead of a decimal comma, e.g. (in the formula bar):

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Textfield", type text}, {"Number field", type number}, {"Integer field", type text}}, "en-US")

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your reply! I am completely new to Power BI and dont understand where to put the code. I found a list of applied steps including the "Changed type" step, but I cant find any formula bar. Any chance you could elaborate a little for a beginner?

In the "View" menu, you can check "Formula Bar" which will display the formula bar with your formulas.

Display Formula bar in Power QueryDisplay Formula bar in Power Query

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Many thanks Marcel! Feeling a little embarassed now, but I just found an even simpler solution. There is a setting; "Archive - Options and settings - Options - Regional Settings - Locale" which I changed to English (United States). That did the trick. The data was now correctly interpreted and loaded.

I am located in Sweden and that apparently changed the way "." was interpreted in my CSV-file! 

Thanks again for your help Marcel, have a great day!

Another solution:

* use the Data->From Text/CSV option

* press the "Edit" button

* Look at the "Applied Steps" window (lower right); if there is a "Changed Type" step, then remove it (i.e. press on the "X" before this step)

* Close and load the Edit sheet

* thereafter you can replace "." with "," with a replace-all

This worked for me (Netherlands)

Groet, Robert Koffrie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.