Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
goaltender36 Helper I
Helper I

Cant get month name on line graph

Hello,

I need help! I have a simple date column (mm/dd/yyyy) from a spread sheet I loaded into Power BI Desktop. I have done a query edit and created a MONTH NUMBER column and MONTH NAME column. When I use Month Number it sorts it in proper order. When I use Month Name it sorts it alphabetically. How can I get it to sort the dates properly, Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ankitpatira Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Cant get month name on line graph

@goaltender36 In power bi desktop under Data view right click month number column and sort ascending. Then under modelling tab select month name column and click Sort By Column and select month number column. This willl sort month name column by number column on your visual.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Krunoslav123
Regular Visitor

Hi , i think that best solution is to create new Dimension Date and u nead to create new realation . DimDate - Your table 1 - m . 

Tip for creating Dimension Date Create Date Dim in Power Bi. There is also other solutions to create Date dim just google it .. 🙂 

Community Champion

@goaltender36 In power bi desktop right click your month number column and Sort Ascending. Then select month name column adn under Modelling tab click Sort By Column and select month number column. This will sort your month name column by month number column.

Community Champion

@goaltender36 In power bi desktop under Data view right click month number column and sort ascending. Then under modelling tab select month name column and click Sort By Column and select month number column. This willl sort month name column by number column on your visual.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

goaltender36 Helper I
Helper I

Thank you it worked!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors