Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cant edit Data source after import from Excel

Hi

I've imported an Excel file/Power Pivot modul to Power BI Desktop.

Under Data Source Settings the source string is grayed out - where can I edit it?

Regards, Henrik

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You import the Power Pivot model the way below, right? If it is, there is some limitations about import excel workbook contents, please review the limitation part of this article: Import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop.

2.PNG

Or you import data from excel by clicking "Get Data"->Excel, you have access to all the datasouce settings in excel? And what power Bi desktop do you use, please update it to the latest version.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angelina

I import the Excel workbook via Import > Excell workbook contents

The importet Data model, created in Power Pivot, works fine in Power BI Desktop, but the connection string is grayed out under Data source settings.

I need to edit the connection string, as I intend to use the pbix-file on various customers sql server.

Help is much appriciated.

Regards, Henrik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Any ideas?

Regards, Henrik

Hi @Anonymous,

In Excel, as what I said, if you have access to edit data source permission in excel as follows?

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Oh, I am able to edit the data connection in Excel, but:

After importing the - big - datamodel in Power BI Desktop, I build a lot of visuals in Power BI Desktop, and then I want to reuse this bpix-file at various customers sql servers. If I have to edit the data source in Excel, then I have to rebuilt the - many - visuals in Power BI every time.

Is it impossible to edit the data source in Power BI desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.