Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rax99
Helper V
Helper V

Cant connect to Power BI Datasets or Dataflows via Desktop

I have an external user that is unable to connect to a dataset/dataflow that I have set up in a workspace. The external user is trying to connect to this data from his local machine via PBI desktop.

I have added the user as an external user into our tenant (and all settings in admin portal to allow external access to workspace), and he can see the ds/df if I provide him with the tenant URL link (https://app.powerbi.com/home?ctid=..... ) on his online portal. I have given him admin access to the workspace to make things easier.

I've followed the official document but it still does not seem to work. Surely if I have shared the workspace and provided them admin access, they should be able to view the ds/df in their desktop?

I've replicated a test ext user account and I'm also getting the same problem:

User has admin access to workspace:

admin access given to workspaceadmin access given to workspace

This is what ext user is seeing when trying to connect to pbi service datasets/data flows:

ext user cant see any ds/df itemsext user cant see any ds/df items

I've tried clearing out data source permissions, getting data from power bi dataflow, dataflow, datasets, powerbi datasets, they all give me nothing.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? As mentioned I've been through the official documentation and was not helpful.

2 REPLIES 2
rax99
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks for the reply. Ok so how can I share a dataset I have on my workspace with an external user? The user needs to be able to connect to this dataset and join with data from my tenant, to his own tenant.

Is there a way I can achieve this?

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rax99 ;

Have you solved your problem?According to official documentation

Guest users can't use Power BI desktop to connect to service datasets in the Power BI service.

vyalanwumsft_0-1636351545609.png

So the guest user could not connect to the dataset of the shared workspace. If those answer your question, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.