Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Cant access my Azure Analysis Services Database - This server does not support Windows credentials.

Im trying to connect to my example Analysis Services Database. Ive added the Server name and the database and I want to do a direct import. I get to the message

Details: "This server does not support Windows credentials. Please try Microsoft account authentication."

Retry just keeps going back tothis message. If I click Edit it takes me back to Server and Database. No where Is there an option coming up where I can add my Microsoft Account Authentication. Its just going in circles without letting me in.

Is there anything I can do to save this one?

7 REPLIES 7
Metarineo

I had the same problem. 
For me the reason was not including the protocol in the servername.
For example:
Above Error: westeurope.asazure.windows.net/myanalysisservices
Works fine: asazure://westeurope.asazure.windows.net/myanalysisservices

Have fun, I say 42, Martin

MonishaM
Frequent Visitor

Did you check if the server was actually running at that point? I recently faced this issue and was wondering why it wasnt working that day when i was able to login using the microsoft account the previous day.  I then checked the servers to see if i was still able to see my model when i noticed that the server was paused. Once i turned the server back on, i was able to connect again using the microsoft account option without any errors.

lmcconnell1665
Frequent Visitor

I am having this same issue. I cannot get out of the endless loop between entering my server name and the error. I cannot access my global permissions since the pbix file has been connected to an Azure Analysis Services model before. I had changed the connection to a local model to do some development and now I cannot switch back to my Azure hosted model.

dudziak
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm having the same issue. The server/users setup is fine. I just need to change the connection method from Windows to Microsoft, but it won't let me.

Retry doesn't work (obviously), and edit just takes you back to the server name entry field with no way to switch authentication methods.

I'll also add that creating a new PBIX file still doesn't fix the issue. That server name is saved somewhere as a Windows Authenticated connection.

SOLVED:  Go to File->Options and settings->Data source settings -> [Your Data Source] -> Edit Permissions -> Credentials -> Edit

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Is there anything else after the edit?

That's where I was able to change from Windows to Microsoft account authentication.

Your data source may also be in the global permissions tab, on the Data Source Settings Page.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DebbieE,

Please check if the server name you have input is valid. Here are some reference material below which may be helpful to you:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connecting-power-bi-to-an-azure-analysis-services-server/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-manage-users

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.