Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swapnilsd08
Frequent Visitor

Cannot use a column from other table

Hello,

I have two different tables in a Power BI desktop. I am using:

Visual used: Stacked Cloumn chart

Column Actual (float datatype in Table 1

Column Target (float datatype in Table 2)

Column Date (in Table 1, used in Timeline visual)

I get correct numbers as per the timeline for Actuals. But the moment I add Target, it does a sum of the entire column and the value does not get filtered by the timeline. I think it is because the date column used is in Table 1 and Target is coming from Table 2. I even tried to create a relationship between the two but could not do it.

I cannot have Target and Actual in same Tables. This has been working fine in SSRS Mobile Report Publisher. Why isn't it working here?

Please help.

Thanks,

Swapnil

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@swapnilsd08

In Power BI, you need to create another calendar table and create relationships with Table 1 and 2. As Reid_Havens said, relationship is needed here.

Cannot use a column from other table_1.jpg 

Best Regards,

Herbert

swapnilsd08
Frequent Visitor

Hi Reid Havens,

Yes, I used an Client_ID column to create a relationship. I understand two tables should have a relationship but then how did SSRS Mobile Report Publisher intuitively managed to create a relationship by itself?

I already have the same dashboard built on SSRS Mobile Report Publisher and considering Power BI to be at more advanced level. Then why am I facing the issue?

Hello Swapnil,

Good question. If I'm reading this correctly there is no current relationship between these two tables correcT?

The first step to getting these table to both display data correctly would be creating a relationship between them. Without a relationship between the two tables (using a columns from both as the key), the graph has no way of knowing which row of data from table two is associated with table one. What were you trying to use as the key between the tables that was failing before?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.