Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Cannot upgrade to enhanced metadata

Hi All,


this new feature now seems permanent, which makes I cannot update my reports anymore:

I have no clue about the why on this error. But its on a query that has a certain folder as source.


Queries Metadata
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The Folder 'Transform File from C:\' is invalid because the parent folder 'Transform File from C:' does not exists in the Model. '.
New Member

I had the similar issue.

The only thing I made to solve it is to rename in Power Query the Folder that was automaticly created by Power bi

From : Transform File from c:/

To Transform File from



I hope it could help


Thank you!!! I've been trying to figure this out for months now and the other suggestions weren't working. In my case the folder name had "\" characters in it which caused the issue.


Hi  @ianharper ,


Glad to hear that,could you pls mark the reply as answered to let more people to find the solution?


Best Regards,

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

This isn't my question, I don't see a way to mark as resolved.

Frequent Visitor

Alright, I think I figured it out.  It seems there's definitely a bug in PowerBi when it tries to auto-convert to the new metadata format.  The issue is indeed with special characters in the Transform File functions.  To fix this issue, I did the following:


  • Open the impacted .pbix file
  • Go to Transform Data
  • Locate your query which calls the "Transform File" function
    • Find the steps in the query which specifically call the transform file function
      • For me, these steps were "Invoke Custom Fuction1" and all steps which referenced the "Invoke Custom Function1" step
  • Rename the file path part of the function name to something without special characters
    • In my case, the before and after code for this step are below replace <server name> with anything you want without special characters:
      • BEFORE:  = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from \\<server name>\<path>", each #"Transform File from \\<server name>\<path>"([Content]))
      • AFTER:  = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from <server name>", each #"Transform File from <server name>"([Content]))
  • Now you need to go up to the "Transform File" function and make the same changes there anywhere the old function name is referenced - from the function name to steps within the function itself.

This was a total pain to do once, let alone the 20 more times i'll have to do it in various reports, but for me, this resolved the issue and I can now refresh my data from within PBI Desktop.

I Tried the above steps and removed all special characters still not working for me
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here as well.  From my error message is seems there are characters in the file path that PowerBi isn't handling well.  Worked before the enhanced metadata upgrade just fine though.

Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same problem......

Helpful resources



We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Wave Release 2

Check out the updates in Power BI.

Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!


The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors