Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bdenny Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Cannot transform text to decimal after Combing Binaries

Hi,

I have a folder with a lot of csv-files and they have the same columns. When I tell Power BI to combine all those csv-files using 'Combine Binaries it looks pretty good but each column has the data type 'text'. So I can't create any visualizations yet because the column containing values is still seen as text and when I try to transform it to decimal is shows an Error. When I filter that specific column the values look very weird:

d90182803e

Any idea why Power BI reads the data this way? A sample of the raw data for this column:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bdenny Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cannot transform text to decimal after Combing Binaries

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The / you saw is a 7. But Power BI detected the wrong encoding. When I selected the right encoding (Unicode) everything works fine 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @bdenny,

According to your screenshot, I find a lot of types in your column.(text: 1.1/1, decimal number, whole number)

Since your column contain the data which can't convert to decimal(1.1/1), it may get some odd result when you try to convert them.

In addition, can you share us a sample file to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly
Learning resources: Power BI
bdenny Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The / you saw is a 7. But Power BI detected the wrong encoding. When I selected the right encoding (Unicode) everything works fine 🙂

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)