Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot sign into Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I cannot sign into Power BI Desktop. I have no problems signing into the Power BI account in browser programs. Just cannot get into the desktop version.

Here is the error message.

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details Service returned error. check InnerException for more details

Can anyone assist?

16 REPLIES 16
chethan
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

even I had the same problem after reinstalling the power bi desktop & clearing the temp files & installation folder, its working fine for me

Regards,

Chetan K

Thanks Chethan - that worked!

DrivesaTruck
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem.  Signing in through the browser did not work to fix it. 

Sclara

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, but I don't know how to fix it. I can acess power bi in other desktops and in the web, it seems the problem is my laptop, but i don't know how to solve it. Can yo help me?

Thanks,

Susana

Since Internet Explorer is no longer supported I found that I could not log into Power BI Desktop. I changed my default browser to Google Chrome and then changed the settings in Power BI to use my default browser to authenticate.

Go to File -> Options and Settings -> Security and tick the Use my default browser to authenticate box.

Same problem here, the sign-in just hangs.

Solution:

Navigate to powerbi.com and sign in, after you logged in successfully log in on the Desktop Power BI.

This didn't work for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Since Internet Explorer is no longer supported I found that I could not log into Power BI Desktop. I changed my default browser to Google Chrome and then changed the settings in Power BI to use my default browser to authenticate.

Go to File -> Options and Settings -> Security and tick the Use my default browser to authenticate box.

I have the same issue, i cant login to powerbi.microsoft.com after the godaddy login i have the message:

Lo sentimos...

No podemos terminar de iniciar su sesión.

Su departamento de TI ha desactivado el inicio de sesión para Microsoft Power BI. Póngase en contacto con ellos para completar el inicio de sesión.

Obtener información sobre otras formas de obtener Office

Regards.

Solution:

Go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com and log in, after you successfully log in on that page you can also log in on the Power BI Desktop.

jerlangsen

Hi, I have the same issue. I have only just downloaded the Desktop version, but can't log in. It works fine on browser though...

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

I license the Microsoft productivity suite via GoDaddy [i.e. O365] and for a time I had an outdated version of the productivity suite installed to my device [Surface Book]. I didn't find this out until the Data Insights Summit in January of 2016 [at which time prior I was having the same issues as you]. Check to make sure you have the most updated version of the productivity suite installed [to which PBI is tethered]. From there, 99 out of 100 instances of the PBI infrastructural issues shoudl go away. It seems like a simple fix, but if this is the case [that you have an outdated version installed] you're going to have a world of trouble until remedied. 

Good luck.

Hi,

I am having similar issues and have tried logging into the power bi desktop on other laptops here in the office.

My pop-up message is saying

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details; Service returned error. Check InnerException for more details.

I have no problem logging into the web power bi.

Please help.

Thanks.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I haven't encountered this before. Does it give you pop up windows where you enter your login details ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been resolved... it was a laptop issue cause I was able to log on using other laptops

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.