cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbartlett Member

Cannot sign into Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I cannot sign into Power BI Desktop. I have no problems signing into the Power BI account in browser programs. Just cannot get into the desktop version.

Here is the error message.

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details Service returned error. check InnerException for more details

Can anyone assist?

14 REPLIES 14
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Cannot sign into Power BI Desktop

@jbartlett I haven't encountered this before. Does it give you pop up windows where you enter your login details ?

jbartlett Member

This has been resolved... it was a laptop issue cause I was able to log on using other laptops

jerlangsen Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have the same issue. I have only just downloaded the Desktop version, but can't log in. It works fine on browser though...

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Highlighted
DallasSalazar Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I license the Microsoft productivity suite via GoDaddy [i.e. O365] and for a time I had an outdated version of the productivity suite installed to my device [Surface Book]. I didn't find this out until the Data Insights Summit in January of 2016 [at which time prior I was having the same issues as you]. Check to make sure you have the most updated version of the productivity suite installed [to which PBI is tethered]. From there, 99 out of 100 instances of the PBI infrastructural issues shoudl go away. It seems like a simple fix, but if this is the case [that you have an outdated version installed] you're going to have a world of trouble until remedied. 

Good luck.

ZaraKamaruddin New Member

Hi,

I am having similar issues and have tried logging into the power bi desktop on other laptops here in the office.

My pop-up message is saying

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details; Service returned error. Check InnerException for more details.

I have no problem logging into the web power bi.

Please help.

Thanks.

Sclara Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, but I don't know how to fix it. I can acess power bi in other desktops and in the web, it seems the problem is my laptop, but i don't know how to solve it. Can yo help me?

Thanks,

Susana

jcapezzuto Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Same problem here, the sign-in just hangs.

mslaats Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Solution:

Go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com and log in, after you successfully log in on that page you can also log in on the Power BI Desktop.

mslaats Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Solution:

Navigate to powerbi.com and sign in, after you logged in successfully log in on the Desktop Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 307 members 3,056 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: