Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ConorHG
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot see duplicate tables

Hi All, 

I have imported a CSV and duplicated it within the query editor and can see the data correctly. Yet when I try to create a table using the duplicated data the data is blank? 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, 
Conor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to replicate the issue by duplicating a query and apply "Close and Load", without making any changes to the duplicated query.

Not only with csv input, but also with other queries.

My best guess would be that it is related to lazy evaluation, as the duplicate is exactly the same as the original.

As soon as make any changes to the duplicated query, it loads normally.

So the question is why you would want to have 2 queries that are exactly the same?

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tyler_Penkofski
Frequent Visitor

I ran into a similiar issue, only the source of my data is an Excel file. I found a solution here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/duplicate-table-shows-no-data-in-data-view/td-p/300296  that may help.

You may need to "Refresh" the data so it populates records into your new table.

Cheers

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ConorHG,

How do you create a table using the duplicated data the data is blank? Could you please share more details for further analysis?

Thanks,
Angelia

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You mean if you load the tables into the data model, one of the tables has data and the other one has no data (i.e. it has rows and they are all blank)?

If you duplicated the query without any changes, then that seems highly unlikely to me.

Typical situations with the described phenomenon are:

1. The column types in the query editor don't correspond with the actual values.

(E.g. the column type is Int64.Type (Whole numbers) and your values have decimals).

2. You have blank rows in your table, that sort somewhere at the end in Power Query, but on top in the data view. 

Hi Marcel, 

No, all the tables have data, at least they all have visible data in the query editor. It doesn't even show rows in the table visual. 

I haven't changed the data types from what they are in the original table. I simply just duplicated the table. 

Below are the images of my query editor and report view. 

I have been able to get the data by just importing it again but it's just a bit redundant. 

QueryView.pngReportView.png

Thanks for the help.

Conor.

Hi @ConorHG,

Have you clicked "Apply" in Query Editor? Only the data is changed successfully after you click "Apply". Please see the following screenshot.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

Yes, I've clicked apply. This has been happening for any csv I have tried to duplicate not just this one. 

I have worked around the issue but I'd still like to figure out what was causing it. 

Thanks, 
Conor.

I was able to replicate the issue by duplicating a query and apply "Close and Load", without making any changes to the duplicated query.

Not only with csv input, but also with other queries.

My best guess would be that it is related to lazy evaluation, as the duplicate is exactly the same as the original.

As soon as make any changes to the duplicated query, it loads normally.

So the question is why you would want to have 2 queries that are exactly the same?

Thanks for the help. 

I am trying to use this table as a lookup for several columns in my original data table. These columns contain the same data but could have different values at one time, hence using the same queries.

From what I understand I can only use 'related' when I have a relationship between two tables. Can you only use one relationship at a time from the same column?

So I found this the easiest way without merging the data to the one file first. 

Thanks, 
Conor.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.