Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rleseberg
Frequent Visitor

Cannot publish from desktop

Hello community,

For the past few days, I have been unable to publish PowerBI reports from my desktop app. After refreshing and attempting to publish, I receive the following message: 

"Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

I don't understand what the error message is saying, and all my searches online have come up empty.
This is true for all reports that I have attempted to publish, even to multiple workspaces.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @rleseberg ,

You may consider this limitations:

1. Too large data model may be a reason for your scenario, maybe you can try to cut down you data size and try again.

2. It could be the power bi server problem that you failed published.

3. You can update the Power BI desktop to the latest version then publish again.

4. You can Go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop.

5. If above methods are not working, please run Fiddler with Decrypt Https traffic enabled and repeat publish steps to reproduce the issue and post the related message for fur discussion.

In addition, you can also take a look at following link who faced similar issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Issue-with-Publishing-PBIX-File/m-p/68513

This is the related document, you can view this content:

Solved: "Unable to write to the transport connection." - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Re: Issue with Publishing PBIX File - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey guys,

I've found some success publishing by connecting to an ethernet connection. Microsoft support determined it wasn't on their side.

Liu, thanks for the response.

I've tried several different sizes of files, and it hasn't made a difference yet.
Not sure how to check the PowerBI server, but my coworkers do not have the same issue.
Updated yesterday.
I could try that I guess, not sure if it's a good long-term fix.
I'll consider it.

Thanks for the help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.