Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot open .pbix file with error message

Hi there, 

I got this error when trying to open .pbix file. The .pbix file I am trying to open worked totally fine last week, and I was able to publish it to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/. The online version is still functioning very well. I didn't move local files to another folder. When I want to refresh the data, I found it cannot be opened. The error message pop-up as follows:

Capture.PNG

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Cannot find table 'PB import '.
A circular dependency was detected: tb_tobe__wrpt_end[tb_tobe__wrpt_end-a29d28d7-a403-4ae7-a0b9-e5c5598435c1], tb_tobe__wrpt_end[FullDate], tb_tobe__wrpt_end[tb_tobe__wrpt_end-a29d28d7-a403-4ae7-a0b9-e5c5598435c1].
'.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChanges(SaveOptions saveOptions)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.SaveChanges(String description)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.InternalTransaction.Commit(Boolean recalc)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ModelAuthoringTransaction.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<Commit>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ModelAuthoringExceptionHandler.AddModelChangeResultToExceptions(Action action, ModelChangeResult modelChangeResult)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.ModelAuthoringTransaction.Commit(RecalcBehavior recalcBehavior)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.<>c.<PerformRecalc>b__18_0(IExtendedModelChangeScope scope)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.RunOutOfBandExtendedModelChange(Action`1 extendedModelChange, IAnalysisServicesDatabase analysisServicesDatabase, IModelManager modelManager, Boolean requireASDBToBeUnattached)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLocal.RunOutOfBandExtendedModelChangeCore(Action`1 extendedModelChange, Boolean requireASDBToBeUnattached)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.PerformRecalc(Report report)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.Prepare(Report report, PackageValidationResult mashupResult, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, String fileName, Nullable`1 entryPoint, Version pbixFileVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIPackagingService.Open(FileStream fileStream, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, ReportPreparerResult& prepareResult)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__20.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Cannot find table 'PB import '.
A circular dependency was detected: tb_tobe__wrpt_end[tb_tobe__wrpt_end-a29d28d7-a403-4ae7-a0b9-e5c5598435c1], tb_tobe__wrpt_end[FullDate], tb_tobe__wrpt_end[tb_tobe__wrpt_end-a29d28d7-a403-4ae7-a0b9-e5c5598435c1].
'.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError_MethodDefDescription:
PFE_XL_CALCCOLUMN_CIRCULAR_DEPENDENCIES

ModelChangeResult:
{"changes":[],"hasQueryImpact":false}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consulted Microsoft support team, and installed Sep 32-bit version 2.73.5586.1101, and I can finally open my work. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you have create a support ticket, please update your solution here so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Icey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Consulted Microsoft support team, and installed Sep 32-bit version 2.73.5586.1101, and I can finally open my work. 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Try to open it again. This may be an intermittent error.

2. According to the error message you provided, the error may be caused by circular dependency. Please check. If circular dependency do exist, you can refer to this blog.

3. Do you change the table name in data source? If so, please change it back and try it again.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Icey !

For your suggestions:

1. Try to open it again. This may be an intermittent error. [tried many times, not working; I even tried to download from app.powerbi.com and that version is not working as well]

2. According to the error message you provided, the error may be caused by circular dependency. Please check. If circular dependency do exist, you can refer to this blog. [Yes, I checked this blog. But my issue is how can I OPEN .pbix, so that I can CHECK and REVISE?]

3. Do you change the table name in data source? If so, please change it back and try it again. [Nope, I didn't change anything. They are all in the same folder.]

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What's the version of your Desktop? Please update to the latest version and try it again.

If the issue is still there and you are a pro user, not trial, I suggest you to create a support ticket to get further help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors