Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot open Power BI (pbix file) - Not responding

Dear all,

May I ask your advice on this issue?

I have a pbix file develop in Dec 2020. It gets data from some excel files in SharePoint. The report was published in Power BI service and auto-refresh successfully. 

I want to open the file to edit some points now, but I cannot open it. No message error, it runs for long time without any signal.

Could you please advise if anyway to open the file?

Thanks so much!

6 REPLIES 6
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Where did you open this .pbix file? Desktop or Service?

What is your current version of Power BI Desktop? Since your .pbix was created last year, you may get an error if you open this .pbix file in a newer version of Desktop. But the version of Power BI Desktop is forward compatible. When you close the error message window, you can still open the .pbix file.

So please provide the error message so that I can confirm whether it is a version problem.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chen,

I opened the report in Power BI Desktop. The current version  is Version: 2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021).

There is no message error when I open the report in Power BI Desktop but it takes very long time (more than an hour) but nothing is opened, just running.

The report is saved in SharePoint, and I can open the previous version in Aug 2020 but cannot open the version in Dec 2020. Datasource of report is excel saved in SharePoint.

Could you please advise potential issue?

Thanks so much!

Nguyen

Hi @Anonymous ,

What is the size of your .pbix file?

Could it be that your local computer's processor and memory do not have enough resources to run this .pbix file?

In addition, how much data cache does your Power BI Desktop use?

v-lionel-msft_0-1617955294448.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Is there another user that could try or another computer with PowerBI installed you could try on?  Can you share the .pbix here (load it to drop box and post the link), I can see if it will open for me.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you go to the published report you can select File > Download the .pbix file.  Maybe you will be able to open this copy without problems?

jdbuchanan71_0-1617243798415.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I tried to download file but still cannot open it. Is there any other way? :((

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors