cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rubik90 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Cannot load JSON file

I have to load a JSON dataset into Power BI, but it does not works and show me the following error:

"Additional characters were detected at the end of JSON input"

I checked it with a JSON validator and everything went for the best, so the syntax is OK.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance
Antonio

4 REPLIES 4
Rubik90 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Cannot load JSON dataset into Power BI

I have to load a JSON dataset into Power BI, but it does not works and show me the following error:

"Additional characters were detected at the end of JSON input"

I checked it with a JSON validator and everything went for the best, so the syntax is OK.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance
Antonio

v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Cannot load JSON file

Hi @Rubik90,

My troubleshooting steps:

• Using a 2 line sample from one of the JSON files, I run it through a parser and get parser errors (expecting 'EOF')
  • When I wrap the JSON in square brackets and separate the lines with a comma, it parses fine
  • I downloaded one of the JSON files and made 2 copies of it. I then edited one to have the brackets and comma delimiter and left the other one alone. I was unable to load the unedited JSON into PBI, but had no problem with the one I edited.

I tried the solution provided by @DolEgon22 in this similar thread, and it worked for me. Could you go to check if it works in your scenario? Smiley Happy

Regards

CarCrazyBen Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I, too, am encountering trouble attempting to parse a JSON file. Not being knowledgeable enough about JSON structures, I am not sure how to apply the proposed fix.

My original document (slightly edited to protect the innocent) is:

{
 "id": "4d0c1c1e12ce226e6f44db7727a6e19dde3ead35-bd_SomeUser@somedomain.com_2017-10-24T18:53:42.559Z",
 "key": [
  "SomeUser@somedomain.com",
  "2017-10-24T14:26:34-06:00"
 ],
 "value": "2017-10-24T20:26:35.596Z",
 "_id": "4d0c1c1e12ce226e6f44db7727a6e19dde3ead35-bd_SomeUser@somedomain.com_2017-10-24T18:53:42.559Z"
}

Can anyone help me through editing/modifying this document so PBI can successfully parse it?

Thank you!

Shree_30 New Member

You can use python script for this issue.

The python code is:

import pandas as pd

Data=pd.read_json(r"Your json file path",lines=True)