Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sp_mike
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot get KPI working because of count

I try to create a KPI for this situation.  

We have consultants booking their hours. I have these hours (in minutes) in Power BI. Another "table" is the name of the consultant and the minutes they are accountable (per day).  

Let's say person X has to be accountable 360 minutes a day. When I select a day of this person X the KPI must tell me if the is lower or above the 360 minutes.  

I created a KPI in which I want to use this "target in minutes"(the 360) as Target goal. However when I add the "target in minutes" field to my kpi. it transforms to a count of this field. Giving me 30, as I have 30 consultants.  

So I'm a bit stuck here. Can someone help me out?

3 REPLIES 3
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

It sounds like you have the KPI of 360 repeated for every row in your table, 1 row for each of your 30 consultants. If it defaults to a count when you drag it into your report, it's probably set as text rather than a number, which would default to a sum. You could create a measure to handle this as

Target = MAX(TableName[KPI Column Name])

Even if each consultant has a different target, this will show their KPI (if your data is like I'm picturing it).

I also sometimes create my KPIs as a separate measure anyway, especially if it's going to be static. You can create a measure like:

Target = 360

That will show 360 no matter where or how you use it in your report, as it's separate from your table.

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I'm guessing what you want instead is Sum. If that's the case, make sure your column (I'm guessing it's a column) is formatted as a number (not text). Then, on your KPI visual, hit the little down arrow beside the Target field and click on Sum.

An alternate solution would be to define a measure that does the summarization for you and use that in your KPI (could be something as simple as Measure = SUM(Table1[Target]).

If neither of those work, maybe post a screenshot or two of what you're seeing.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have created a sample workbook that I am hoping will get you moving in the right direction:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y366u6qwa3srt0z/HoursWorked.pbix?dl=0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.