Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot find the resource for the request $metadata

Good Evening All

First post so I am hoping you will all help me where you can!

I have inherited a lovely Power BI dashboard which has been working successfully pointing to our pre-production SharePoint 2013 on-prem site.  The developer was a contractor who has since left.  After leaving, the customer signed off on the dashboard and the underlying application on SharePoint.

The application was then copied across to our production SharePoint 2013 on-prem environment using Sharegate.  I now need to change the Power BI report to point to the new site.  This seems super straight forward, so i did the following:

• Edit Queries > Data Source Settings
  • Chose the SharePoint datasource and Change Source
  • I changed the url from our pre-prod site to the prod site
  • Close and Apply

PropertyError.PNG

Whilst applying the query changes I get the above error.

"SharePoint: Request failed (404): The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Cannot find the resource for the request $metadata.)

When i go back and change the datasource to the pre-prod url it is absolutely fine.

Has anyone ever seen this.  It is really delaying to roll out of the application solution to production for the customer.

Thanks in advance - all help is majorly appreciated.

Cassy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Symptom: You got an error when you are trying to change the SharePoint site from UAT to production

Cause: The API version mismatch

Resolution: Change the API version in each table from 15 to 14

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Symptom: You got an error when you are trying to change the SharePoint site from UAT to production

Cause: The API version mismatch

Resolution: Change the API version in each table from 15 to 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have any other ideas?

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi cassy_freeman,

Please check if the sharepoint site url is valid when connecting to your resource.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thank you - it is correct.

Thanks

Cassy

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you try to create a sample report and connect to  new production share point environment and see if that works, if yes use that connection string (url) and use it for in the old report. Just a suggestion. It will also help to debug further.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.  When i create a new project and use the same url it connects and loads no problem whatsoever.

Thanks

Cassy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.