Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LearnPowerBI5
Frequent Visitor

Cannot create active relationship between date table and multiple dim tables

I am new to data modeling and require help. I have multiple fact tables (Tables - Data_2020, Data_2021, Data_2022, Data_Fifa)  year-wise and I want to connect them to one date table, however, the date table establishes an active relationship with only one fact table and an inactive relationship with other fact tables thus giving errors showing the same values across the months. I want to create an active relationship with all the fact tables and am unable to do so.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 110625.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are doubling relationships if you make connection to dimtables and between data tables.

Model works if you delete many to many and connect 🙂

lukaszEltwin1_0-1664172830497.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Partially you re correct to use dimdate. The end goal to use dimntables to avoid many to many relationships. For 90% they are responsible why the relationships are blocked. There should be notification which relationship is blocking you table link, double click on not active ones

What is the column link for relationships between them? Project id or something like that? Try to create new table and use within it dax with distinct union. Connecting them to new dimtable and removing many to many relationships could help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are doubling relationships if you make connection to dimtables and between data tables.

Model works if you delete many to many and connect 🙂

lukaszEltwin1_0-1664172830497.png

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share a link to a sample PBIX file with sample sources files hosted in a cloud service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

I do not have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license. Is it possible to review the file from the below Onedrive link?

shorturl.at/cuwZ7

Thanks for the PBIX. However, ideally we should be creating the structure in Power Query, and for that I will also need sample files for the different tables (otherwise I cannot work the model in Power Query). Perhaps you can create a zip file with the pbix and the sample files to download?

Paul on Linkedin.

Below is the link for the pbix and sample file for different tables

shorturl.at/ijlvA 

Thanks,  but the link doesn't lead to a download

Paul on Linkedin.

Please check if the below link works.

https://t.ly/GwyU 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.