Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mm14222
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot connect to a new data source anymore - Connecting please wait while we establish a connection

I'm having Microsoft Power BI Desktop August version, it is running a complex multiple reporting by connecting to various files csv and excel files.

Everything was working fine for weeks and suddenly when I'm trying to add an additional data source for an unknown reason it power BI desktop connector get stuck at the following screen giving me a message Connecting Please wait while we establish a connection to ...

It doesn't provide any error message, and the debugging details are very strange, and couldn't figure what seems to be the problem.

Can anyone please direct me on how to understand the reason behind this issue? 

Thanks in advance. 

error.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
asgerlarsen
Frequent Visitor

The same problem occured for me from one day to another when I tried connecting to any datasource. This was odd since other reports didn't seem to have any issues connecting. Today I found a solution that worked in my case. 

The problem in my case was the following:

There are different versions of PowerBI available for download, one you can download through the PowerBI website, and one you can download through Microsoft Store.

asgerlarsen_1-1642676745914.png

I'm using the version downloaded from PowerBI's website (Microsoft PowerBI Desktop (x64)), and create all my reports in that version (Don't ask me why I have both versions installed). I'm not sure why or when it happend, but suddenly the report I was working on had changed the version it used to open the report, from 'website version' to 'Microsoft Store version', and this messed with the connections to the company databases.

The fix in my case:

I simply changed the version the report should open with to the 'website version' of PowerBI, and made sure to set it as default program.

Right click report -> Open with -> Choose another app -> Select the right version: "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" -> Click Always use this app to open .pbix files -> OK

asgerlarsen_3-1642677134993.png

This might not be the solution for every case of this problem, but it worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Legend! Somehow another Power BI had installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue. I can connect data sources to a brand new power bi file but my existing file just spins endlessly and never connects.

@Anonymous 

Follow the way which I have mentioned in the thread. It will help you load the data way quicker.

pwc_ananta
Helper I
Helper I

This just happened with me too. I am unable to establish the connection. @mm14222 How did you resolve the issue? Its a top priority issue, The connection is working for new PBIX files but the report in which i have worked a lot is not connecting to the source again. I am using October 2021 version.

I have the same issue with an file I worked on for three months. Could anyone solve the issue? With my file preview refresh oder data refresh do not work either.

@Nik-nklskrmnn

This took time due to loading whole heirarchy and relationship columns in PBIX file for each table we add in the report.

The best way I figured out for Oracle Database Source is to load the data from SQL query.

pwc_ananta_0-1642071814115.pngpwc_ananta_1-1642071894762.png

Enter the Server IP details, Click on Advance, then Uncheck both check boxes for Relationship Columns and Heirarchy and write the SQL query.

Load the Data, it will take few seconds to load. For more tables to load, duplicate the query and just change the SQL in it. Cheers!

Accept it as a solution if it work for you.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mm14222 

Does this issue still occur on the latest October 2020 Version?

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I upgraded to October 2020 version, however, this didn't solve the problem, I'm still having the same issue. 

I do not get any error message, I can work normally on the file, the only thing I cannot do is to add additional data source as per the updated screenshot below.

It is critical to highlight that in any other PBIX file, I'm able to add additional data sources, so the issue is only limited to this cube.

We also do not know when this problem started as it never gave an error before, so it is hard for us to restore this Cube to a previous version. If I can only know when it got broken, or what is breaking it, this will help me to either restore it from the previous back up and do manual updates to what we have lost or simply fix the issue.

Your kind guidance is highly appreciated. 

Hi @mm14222 

If you can add the new data source in any other pbix file, you may try adding the data source in a new pbix file, and copy the scripts in its Advanced Editor. Then create a new blank query in the old file, and paste the scripts in its Advanced Editor and apply the changes.

11061.jpg11062.jpg

Hope this works.

Regards,

Jing

Perfect. Thanks so much.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mm14222 , Please make sure there no windows update pending. Also, update to the latest version of Power BI.

If you still face the issue  log an issue -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.