Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot connect to SQL Server database

Hi,

I'm facing an issue where I cannot connect my power bi desktop to my client's sql server. I have already set up VPN of my client's server in my laptop. After i enter server name and trying to connect, this error occured:

aidelsrkk_0-1623383043630.png

Am i making a mistake anywhere? or is it impossible to connect to sql this way other than installing gateway in their server?

Please help. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Anonymous, cool, that's how it should be 👍 now check with same serveraddress and port on ssms, <servername><comma><portnumber> authentication can be either windows/sql authentication as per your account setup. if you have access to server it should work if not you would end up with authentication error message

** 1433 is default port for SQL server unless your client has provided any other port for sql server.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Washivale
Resolver V
Resolver V

@Anonymous : as Amit mentioned try connecting using SSMS first, however you might end up in same issue fromr SSMS.
Issue seems more on the networking/firewall side, as you mentioned the server is on client side you should check if you are able to telnet the server from cmd prompt after connecting to vpn

on cmd you can type telent <serveraddress><space><port> if its not going through you should ask client network team to make it accessible over vpn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Washivale , i followed your instructions on cmd, after i type those, it redirect me to blank page in cmd. Is this how it supposed to be?

Hello @Anonymous, cool, that's how it should be 👍 now check with same serveraddress and port on ssms, <servername><comma><portnumber> authentication can be either windows/sql authentication as per your account setup. if you have access to server it should work if not you would end up with authentication error message

** 1433 is default port for SQL server unless your client has provided any other port for sql server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

YESSS IT WORKED! Thank you so much @Washivale !!

One more question, once i complete building the dashboard, how do i set up to make it scheduled refresh? Do i have to install gateway in their server?

Hello @Anonymous: in your case ideal space for gateway would be in client environment, VPN connectivity could result into frequent refresh failures otherwise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ookay so the way is i install gateway in their server

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , first of all, check are you able to connect same on SQL server management studio.

You need make sure your user (windows/service or user account) have to access to database.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak , thank you for the reply.

May I know how do I connect that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.