Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AdamOrmond
Frequent Visitor

Cannot connect to SQL Data Warehouse database using contained database users

I recently created a SQL Data Warehouse instance in my Azure subscription and granted an Azure Active DIrectory group access to connect and read all tables within the warehouse. I verified the configuration by connecting and browsing the data warehouse database using SQL Server Management Studio with a user in the AAD group. However, I am unable to connect to the same data source using Power BI Desktop with that same user. I am able to using PBI Desktop to connect to the database server with the AAD administrator.

How do I resolve this issue? What am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AdamOrmond,

Based on my research, you could refer to below link that may solve your problem:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connaot-connect-to-Azure-SQL-Data-Wareh...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

I reviewed the linked community post and the issue described there appears similar to the one I am having. However, I do not have an issue connecting to Azure SQL Data Warehouse via SQL Authentication or the Azure Active Directory (AAD) administrator account configured for the Azure SQL Server hosting the Azure SQL Data Warehouse. I am able to use both of these connection mechanisms in SSMS and Power BI Desktop.

What I cannot do is use a Contained Database User to authenticate with Power BI Desktop. There are no proxies in the way, nor do I believe there is a firewall rule preventing this interaction. I am performing all of this work in an Azure-hosted Windows 10 Virtual Machine. Below, in red, is the error I receive when I connect to the server and specify the database in Power BI:

"Unable to connect

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server "<NOT THE SERVER I REQUESTED>" requested by the login. The login failed"

I do not understand where Power BI Desktop is finding the server name to pass. The name that shows up in the above error message is not the server name I specified in the preceding connection dialog. If I use a AAD Administrator account and specify the database, I get the same error.

If I use an AAD Administrator account and DO NOT specify the database, it works. If I attempt to connect using the database contained user and likewise DO NOT specify the database, it appears to work, but the Navigator dialog in Power BI shows the below error, in red, for the database in the navigation tree:

"DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server "<NOT THE SERVER I REQUESTED>" requested by the login. The login failed.
Details:
DataSourceKind=SQL
DataSourcePath=dsphase2poc.database.windows.net;AdvWorks
Message=Cannot open server "<NOT THE SERVER I REQUESTED>" requested by the login. The login failed.
Number=40532
Class=20"

The linked community post does not appear to have identified a solution for the original poster. @niko159 appears to still have the issue, or at least did as of 4/11/2018 when they last posted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.