Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bisigreat
Regular Visitor

Cannot connect to MySQL database

Dear all,

Please I need help.

Power BI Desktop cannot connect to MySQL Database.

The error message is "The user was not authorized"

I have been on this for two weeks now.

Any help will be appreciated.

N/B: I have downloaded the latest MySQL connector but still have the same issue.

Regards,

Bisi.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bisigreat,

The first thing you need to check is the credential used to connect. Connections to MySQL from Power Query/Power BI Desktop tend to default to Windows credentials which often do not work with default installations of MySQL Server. To troubleshoot this issue, go to File ->Options and Settings -> Data source settings and edit your data source and set the credentials to "Database credentials” rather than Windows credentials. Reference: Power BI Tips for Working with MySQL

If you have confirmed the credential is correct,  this issue may be caused by the past connections on the same desktop application. In this scenario, you can follow this article to delete the cache and the old data source connections related.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much. It works for me in Windows 10 64 bit
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clearing the cache worked for me, when I was having problems changing the credentials I was using to connect to an Azure SQL database. I could connect via SQL Server Management Studio no problems but not through Power BI using the Database option.

Cleared the cache, re-entered the data source details and credentials excatly as before and it worked.

Hi,

I have tried all the suggested options.

It is still showing me thesame error "The user was not authorized"

Thank you,

Bisi

Did anyone ever get this to work. I am getting the same error when trying to connect to MySQL. I can connect using other interfaces (Toad) but PowerBI will not. 

Hi

It looks like people have given up on the solution or have resolved the issue and withheld the detail 😞

I'm trying to connect ot MySQL hosted on Microsoft Azure by Cleardb, have tried all suggestions below, confirmed the connection details is exactly the same as MySQL Workbench which connects successfully.

Anyone figured why this happens and how to resolve it?

Thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Make sure that you are using Database credentials and not Windows credentials.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.