Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DAT_Research

Cannot connect ODBC

I recently downlaoded 32-bit Power BI Desktop and I am only able to load Excel, Access, Web and Google Analytics data.  I cannot connect to the ODBC SQL server to retrieve data.  When I try to connect to ODBC or Analysis Services thee software locks up and must be force ended using task manager.  I also am not givent the option to identify the server location I.P.  Is there some setting I must change?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DAT_Research,

I got the information internally which said the trending issue "When we click Get Data > All or some of the data source dialog might not appear or clicking a source such as SSAS or SQL may hang Power BI Desktop. And we have to use the task manager to kill the process/app." already fixed in the latest Power BI desktop version.

In your scenario, which version of Power BI desktop do you run? Please update it to the version 2.37.4464.602 to check if the issue has been solved.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DAT_Research,

I got the information internally which said the trending issue "When we click Get Data > All or some of the data source dialog might not appear or clicking a source such as SSAS or SQL may hang Power BI Desktop. And we have to use the task manager to kill the process/app." already fixed in the latest Power BI desktop version.

In your scenario, which version of Power BI desktop do you run? Please update it to the version 2.37.4464.602 to check if the issue has been solved.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This solved the problem.  Thank you very much for your help

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

is the SQL Server 64 bit install?    I ask because I downloaded/installed Power BI 64 bit - and am not able to connect to Access tables because the install of Office is 32 bit.....  however if I export the Access tables to excel - I am able to import the excel files.

www.CahabaData.com

I am not sure about eh SQL Server install but it accomodates my 32 bit install of Office just fine. In fact many of the SQL tales are linked to my access database for use and when I load those databases to PowerBI I can see the queries and tables I have built from the SQL links but I do not see the SQL linked tables themselves.

Hi, I ran into exactly same issue as yours. How did you fix yours? Could you please share? I am using the latest version of power BI desktop.

The link in the reply above worked for me.  I believe I had mistakenly installed the 32 bit version when I actually needed the 64 bit version.

Thank you for replying. I have the latest 32 bit version on my 32-bit PC. I am able to connect to SQL server directly  (via dsn, ODBC) and could load the tables. However, I need to load access database (that contains the tables linked to SQL server) as my queries are already built in there. Is there any way to this kind of acccess database in power BI? Thanks

Sorry, I cannot answer that.  You might want to start a new thread on that. 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DAT_Research have you tried setting up DSN and using that instead straight away using ODBC driver within power bi.

We do have one setup already but it seems Power BI is not recognizing it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.