Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pmr2000
Frequent Visitor

Cannot change from count to a sum

I have a line and stacked column chart.  The stacked column values appear fine, when I add a field to the line values I can only get "count" - no option to change to "sum". 

The pulldown does not have all the options sum, avg. etc. only see count (distinct) and count choices.

I have the source data formatted as a number, custom -it's currency format.

I do have 2 rows that are blank, I tried putting 0's in did not fix.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pmr2000 awesome, it worked out. Cheers!!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@pmr2000 are you using the same column on for stack bar ?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

No, I am not using the column that I want to use for line value in the column values.

Basically have 5 columns- 1 column for date, columns for forecast, actual, ytd, ytd target.

Date column is the shared axis

Column values are forecast, actual, ytd.

Trying to use ytd target as the line value, only get it to display as count not sum.

@pmr2000 not sure why you are not getting aggregation option for your line, can you try to use "YTD Target" on some other visual and see if you have aggregation options for that column. Only reason I can think of that data type for the column is not number? Can you double check that?

Good suggestion if I try that YTD Target in another visualization same issue only get the count choice.  If I put it in a table I see actual values though.

Definitely formatted as number, I will keep trying!

If I try the line value in another using YTD Target I get sum - however it is adding the entire row of months together and giving me flat line of January to December as the sum of the column, not individual values for each month?

I don't see the delta summation symbol next to the column I want as line graph  - how can I change that?

@pmr2000 that tells me that it is not a number field, can you share the screen shot with selected field and data type of the field.

I was able to create a new table in excel, refresh, seems to work now.  

Can't see any issue with the old data not being formatted correctly but like you said the summation delta symbol indicates an issue.

Thanks so much!

@pmr2000 awesome, it worked out. Cheers!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.