Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nbs33
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot apply changes

Hi,

I have inherited a Power BI dashboard that someone else made. The data model is very complex and takes an extremely long to load. I have been asked to make minor changes and when I try to apply changes it will load for 2 hrs and crash.

I am not sure what to do next. I have cleared the cache and tried loading again but the same issue continues. Does anyone have any suggestions? My next move is to try run it in a AWS VM but it has be complicated and I haven't been able to get it to work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nbs33
Helper II
Helper II

Update: I ended up running the model in an AWS EC2 virtual machine. Not ideal but at least it works. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nbs33
Helper II
Helper II

Update: I ended up running the model in an AWS EC2 virtual machine. Not ideal but at least it works. 

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nbs33 ,

What changes did you apply to the queries? What data sources did you connect to? What is the connection type(Import/Direct Query/Live connection)? First, you can refer to the following official document to optimize your model according to its connection type.

Optimization guide for Power BI
Also, you can check the methods provided in the link below, hopefully they will help you and give you some ideas or insights.

Performance Tip for Power BI; Enable Load Sucks Memory Up

yingyinr_0-1634881020157.png

Power BI Unable to Apply Query Update

Data Privacy Settings In Power BI/Power Query, Part 1: Performance Implications

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Whats your Datamodel size ? Huge dataset creates problems, see if you can tune the model a bit to reduce the size.

• Remove the unnecessary columns and filter the unwanted data - This seems to be simple, but its very  effective. 
  • Make sure auto date time option is disapled. Every date field in the model creates a hidden data table.
  • Disable load of the tables which are not needed in the report panel.

The list goes on. 

Thansk
Raj

Thanks for the response @Anonymous. It's only 7 mb. I assumed it was much bigger because it has been very slow since day one and it is downloading many company ledgers. 

I can't see the error message because it crashes my computer before an error is shown. Any ideas what it could be?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.