Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ncio
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot add a power BI Dataset (could not connect to the Analysis Services)

Hello,

When I try to add a power BI dataset: 

• OK - It displays the list of available dataset and I can select my dataset,
  • OK - Then it displays the list of tables in this dataset and I can select the tables I need,
  • KO - Then, when I click submit to load the selected table, I get the error message:

We encountered an error while trying to connect
Details: "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect."

• ​On this error message I can click retry or edit.
  • Edit displays a popup with the title "SQL Server Analysis Services database". And the server is "powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/KPI%20RH".

What could be the cause of this issue?

I tried:

• Loading tables from other datasets - same error
  • Loading the full dataset (without selecting specific tables) - same error
  • The only thing that kind of work is to create a new report on a existing dataset and then adding local tables. However, I have a report that already exist and I'd like to add data from another dataset.

Additional info: 

• Pro user license
  • Version: 2.104.702.0 64-bit (avril 2022)

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ncio 

If the pbi dataset data source you are connecting to is ssas, then you will not be able to connect to other data sources.

vjaneygmsft_0-1650965868152.png

Check this:Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you are using other data source, This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally.(Internal ICM ID: 304203762)Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ncio 

If the pbi dataset data source you are connecting to is ssas, then you will not be able to connect to other data sources.

vjaneygmsft_0-1650965868152.png

Check this:Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you are using other data source, This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally.(Internal ICM ID: 304203762)Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I confirm that my issue is solved with the "newer" version of the april release: Version: 2.104.941.0 64-bit (avril 2022)

Thank you

Ncio
Helper II
Helper II

Trying to add the datasetTrying to add the dataset

Maybe it's easier to understand with a gif

help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.