Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot View Measure Definitions on a Downloaded Report

The data is imported for the Power BI model for this report.  What also seems odd is that the Model and Data icons are missing with just the Report Icon showing.

Need help understanding what is going on. We need to make an update to some measures in the report.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

As I mentioned in my previous post, you could check the souce dataset at the bottom right.. In my case, my report is connected to dataset "Email Test" in "BI-Dev" workspace.

Cap11.PNG

There are certain limitations.

Keep in mind that when you rename the column/measure name in the orginal dataset, it will appear as a new column/measure and all the visuals that used the old name will be broken.

If this helps, mark it as solution.

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What data source you are connecting to ? What connection mode was applied ? The available views tab is different depending on the data source and connection method . For example , the data source you connect to be SQL Server, and the connection mode is Import , then " Report " , " Data " and " Model " view tabs are all available . However , if applied direct query connection mode with same data source , " Report " and " Model " view tabs are available .

connection mode1.jpg

Besides that, if connect the data with Power BI dataset or SQL Server Analysis Service(connection mode: live connection), then only “Report” tab is available. If your scenario is same with this, you have to update the measure in original dataset/model.

connection mode2.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rena,

You are correct. The report was devolped using a dataset via the service. So now I understand why I can't see the measures. The interesting part was going into the data source settings where it didn't tell me what datasource/dataset was being used.

Thanks again for your help - greatly appreciated!

@Anonymous 

As I mentioned in my previous post, you could check the souce dataset at the bottom right.. In my case, my report is connected to dataset "Email Test" in "BI-Dev" workspace.

Cap11.PNG

There are certain limitations.

Keep in mind that when you rename the column/measure name in the orginal dataset, it will appear as a new column/measure and all the visuals that used the old name will be broken.

If this helps, mark it as solution.

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow - my eyes didn't pick that up. Thanks you have a been a great help!

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Is that report connected to Power BI Dataset as a source? If so, the Report and Model icons won't appear.

If you want to view/change the measure definition or modify the model, you would have to do it in the dataset.

The bottom right shows which dataset the report is pointing too.

Also, When you rename a column in the dataset, it won't reflect the related report. It will appear as a new column and you have to fix all the visuals.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.