Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot Publish to power bi service

Hi,

I am Power Bi Service Admin, Power BI Premium Admin and AAS admin, I have created a workspace on premium capacity and trying to publish to the sapce I created, I am getting following error

"Sorry, you don't have access to pubish to this workspace, please contact the owner for access"

Can any one help with this, this mesage pops up every time I am trying to publish to any workspace,.

Thanks,

Ahsan

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just tried for the first time creating and publishing to the new App Workspaces.

I experienced exactly the same issue.  That is PBI Desktop would raised an error when I tried to publish the report to the new App Workspace, telling me it couldn't.

When I go to the App Workspace within the PBI Service, I can see the report, and the dataset; however, if I try to create a report off of this dataset I get an error (do no have access).

The dataset is based on an Azure SSAS Tabular model.  I am the admin for the PBI Service, the admin for the Azure SSAS instance, and the creator/Admin for the offending app workspace.

I agree with other comments; for such a fundamental change, I feel MS should have completed much more robust testing.  I am also left feeling that models based on SSAS databases are the poor cousin to models created within Power BI Desktop, but that's another thread entirely!

arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

Update: when I switched our solution from Direct Query to Import, the Publish Error went away... However, also realized new Preview workspace doesn’t allow for Usage Metrics to be created, which finally made-up my mind for me.. So I ended up deleting the new Preview workspace and recreating it without preview turned on. This non-preview workspace allows our Direct Query pbix to publish without any issues. Personally I’m very disappointed in the latest preview features being rolled-out half-naked and causing all these issues.. Hoping when they roll this out it won’t have all the issues
arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

I have the exact same issue and came here to see if anyone has a solution... In the past I've created ~10 workspaces and published to them a number of .pbix without any issues what-so-ever.. This is the only new workspace I've created using the new preview workspaces option.. Now I can't publish to it, as I'm getting: Sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace. Please contact the owner for access (ironic since I'm the owner...)   NOW after I get this message, I check and the dataset indeed get's published... So it's like a "fake" message.. But I'd like to understand why I'm seeing it and the way to fix it so it says "Published Successfully..

Here're some of the other tests I've tried:

1.) Added another developer with Admin rights - he gets the exact seam error in PowerBI Desktop (but ultimately we see the dataset does get published  (This is a direct connection dataset, if that makes a difference..)

2.) I've just tried to publish a different .pbix to this same "preview" workspace and got the exact same error, while this other .pbix published without any issues to a different workspace (that was crated before preview workpaces"

So in essense, the only diff. I can see that I created a Workspace using new "Prieview" workspaces... And it's not intermittent for us. Happens every single time we're publishing to this Workspace.  WHAT GIVES???   (I almost feel like maybe it publihes to PowerBI but fails on some other Office 365 process (maybe need permissions changed on something else within Off 365 suite?) 

Oh and we all have PowerBI Pro licenses.     

drmbrklyn
Frequent Visitor

I get this issue intermittently.  It seems to me that it only happens with a large model and that it may not be the 'correct' message.   I think it indicates that the request to publish times out since the publish normally completes on the second attempt.

Dave

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @Anonymous,

From your description, If I understand your scenario correctly that you publish the report to the app workspce you created with Premium in Power BI Service, but you get an error?

Have you publish the report to that app worksapce successfully before? Do you have this error for other app workspace ?

Do you have edit access to this app workspace? Please check if you're the Admin of this app workspace?

Untitled.png

In addition, you could have a reference of this similar thread.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

NewWS.PNGerror.PNGAs explained earlier I am the one who created the workspace and I am Admin in workspace, Power BI Service and Power BI Premium Admin as well, if you create a workspace you automatically get added as Admin.

This workspace and all other are on Premium capacity, if I publish to "My Workspace" I don't get an error

This has got something to do with "New" workspace experience that Microsoft did couple of days ago and reports being published to premium capacity, it is coming up for all new workspaces created using new workspace experience.

This error, pops up but then report does gets published, but why is the error popping up ?

I have also noticed, if you created a workspace in old way i.e. when it uses office 365 groups, and then try to recreate the same workspace after deletion using new workspace experience, it does not even publish the report and give same error. the only solution was to recreate the workspace with some different name then old one.

Hope this explains.

Ahsan

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your details information. It seems that you have problems when you publish the report to the new app workspace (preview).

By my test with publishing a repot to the new app workspace (preview) configured with Premium in Power BI Service, I cannot reproduce your issue.

What data source do you connect?

You also could have a try with my test pbix which has been attached to check if you still have this issue? 

In addition, you could have a try Get Data in the new app workspace (Preview) to check if there is any error?

If you still have the error, you could trace Power BI with Fiddler.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hmm..so I was successful in publishing your Bubble Chart.pbix to this "Preview" workspace..

So here are all the test so far:

1.) I can't pubilsh my "A" pbix (uses Direct Data Connection) to my "A" workspace created with new WORKSPACE PREVIEW

2.) I can publish this "A" pbix to a different workspace that was created before workpace preview

3.) I can't publish antoher "B" pbix this new workpace created with preview (so can't publish it to workspace "A") (ALSO USES DIRECT CONNECTION)

4.) I can publish "B" pbix to any other workspaces crated without workspace preview

5.) The only .pbix I was able to publish and see "Successful" message was your Bubble.pbix - which I assumes uses IMPORT Connection???

So the two things I see in commong - is I created new workspace using WORKSPACE PREVIEW and trying to Publish solution that uses "DIRECT CONNECTION"   - I mean it's obvious that something with this new workspace preview is messed up (as I've been developing and publishing .pbix. for ~2 years and NEVER had a problem until they introduced Workspace Preview.) However looks like replicating it might not be easy as it's a combination of things that's messing it up.

Oh and btw the .pbix does Publish.. When I look in my new Workspace Preview Workspace it's there.. However I just don't get: "Published Successful." message. I get "Error Publishing" instead every single time.. (not intermittent) VERY FRUSTRATING.

Experiencing the exact same. 

We are just ramping up our Power BI Deployment, and were hoping to launch out of the gate with the New Workspace model to avoid migration later.  However, this is really confusing to our PBI Desktop Users.  

Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

I have Azure Analysis Services as source.

Many Thanks,

Ahsan

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tested with my test pbix I uploaded previous reply and check if it could publish to your new app workspace(Preview) successfully?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

@v-piga-msft

Yes it did published without error. so it got to be Azure Analysis Services (Connect Live) and new workspace experience (premium capacity)

To test again, I created a new PBIX getting with live connection to Azure Analysis Service, with just one chart on it and tried publishing, got same error 😞 though file did got published but Power BI Desktop showes same error.

Kind Regards,

Ahsan

I am having the exact same issue.

On the web, I created a new app workspace (in preview), and of course I am listed as an admin.  On Power BI Desktop, i logged in with the same user, created a simple report with a Azure SQL DirectQuery dataset, and when I publish to this new workspace, i get the same error.  I tried creating a new workspace, logging in/out of web and desktop app, nothing has helped.  The odd part is that the report and dataset are actually published to the workspace, regardless of the error message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.