Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lgs1983
Helper I
Helper I

Cannot Convert value of type text to type true false

Hi,

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the above error message as I can't understand why it's appearing for the below formula as all fields involved are text.

Does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance

IF(
        LOOKUPVALUE(CIS[companyID],CIS[DUNSNUM],GUODataCombine[DUNS],CIS[CompanyName],GUODataCombine[PartyName]),
        "Found", 
        "Not Found"
    )
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @lgs1983 ,

The test you are making is returning a text value, not a true false value. Now if you could frame it so that is Lookupvalue(CIS[CompanyID]) = x, then it can evaluate that. You will probably end up using  && for multiple tests, or you could try ISBLANK(). But your test needs something to evaluate.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Hi @lgs1983 ,

You may want to try ISBLANK()

Checks whether a value is blank, and returns TRUE or FALSE. The function surrounds the value you are testing.

However BLANK() returns a blank.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Syntax

DAXCopy
ISBLANK(<value>)  

Parameters

Term Definition
valueThe value or expression you want to test.

Return value

A Boolean value of TRUE if the value is blank; otherwise FALSE.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @lgs1983 ,

The test you are making is returning a text value, not a true false value. Now if you could frame it so that is Lookupvalue(CIS[CompanyID]) = x, then it can evaluate that. You will probably end up using  && for multiple tests, or you could try ISBLANK(). But your test needs something to evaluate.

Nathaniel

Thanks @Nathaniel_C , it was me taking it for granted it would see the lookup as a true or false automatically, now amended to the following and works:

IF(
        LOOKUPVALUE(CIS[companyID],CIS[DUNSNUM],GUODataCombine[DUNS],CIS[CompanyName],GUODataCombine[PartyName]) = BLANK(),
        "Found",
        "Not Found")
    )

Hi @lgs1983 ,

You may want to try ISBLANK()

Checks whether a value is blank, and returns TRUE or FALSE. The function surrounds the value you are testing.

However BLANK() returns a blank.

Nathaniel

Syntax

DAXCopy
ISBLANK(<value>)  

Parameters

Term Definition
valueThe value or expression you want to test.

Return value

A Boolean value of TRUE if the value is blank; otherwise FALSE.

Great, thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.