Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smjzahid
Helper V
Helper V

Cannot Clear the Filter In PBI Desktop

Hi Everyone

My report has 12,541 rows and one of the applied filters on the report has filtered it down to 19 rows, now I want to get my report back to its original position ie; 12,541 rows.

I have tried many ways to clear the filter which I applied previously while working on the report. I have tried all possible ways to clear it however, the report isn't removing the applied filter.

What I have already tried.

Went to Query Editor and (Cleared the Filter) from the applied steps section in the left.
Manually cleared all the filter on the report at different levels like (visual, page, report level)

refreshed the data in the data model from within the query editor.

I need to get rid of the filter shown in the RED highlighted circle please. What am I missing, Could anyone please guide.

Filters P.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
Arildsen
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I had almost the same issue. I had copied some report pages with slicers on them. Then I messed around with "Sync slicers" and also turing on an off the visibility of them in the Sync slicer pane. I ended up with several slicers being invisible on my report pages and  filtering my data.

Solution: Go to the "Selection" pane (nex to sync slicers) where you can se all your page elements. On the right side there's an eye indicating wether the element is visible or not. Turn the visibility on and you can see yours slicers and delete them if needed.

Yes!! That was it. Thank You!

This tip worked like a charm! Thank you

This worked!!!

tsibilski
Frequent Visitor

The way arround if there is no way to remove the filter:
1. Go through all visuals where the column is used and delete it from them (make a note where they were located on the list of Values on each visual.

2. Duplicate the page.

3. Add the column to the visuals you removed it from, delete the old page, rename new one with the old one name and refresh bookmarks related to that page if you have any, e.g. Reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar problem. I solved it in the following way. I selected all the elements (ctrl + A) then uncheck the main elements and hit delete. The point was that I had an invisible filter that could not be selected with a mouse.

Two years later, you have just helped me out too.  No idea what was goig on: nothing in the Selection pane, I had only one page and had unfiltered that, but I still had multiple filters showing.  Definitely going to Bookmark an unfiltered page early in the develpment cycle from now on!

Thank you, mate! You have no idea how much you helped me. Just got a dashboard built up by someone else, this got me stuck until now. Again, thanks!

This solution worked for me. Thank you!

saiharish

My friend had a similar issue and we resolved it by checking all drill downs and one of her 20 odd charts was drilled down and that is the reason, why this filter had popped in at a visual level in all charts. Hope this helps. 

Thank you - that solved the problem for me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had multiple filters applied on the same page. One hidden filter was applied for one dimension. Once I cleared the selections on the page for all slicers (for unrelated dimensions) the hidden filter disappeared

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kylie,

By any chance are you using  bookmarks for your pages?  Is all of this happenning in desktop or is the problem occuring when published to service?

Thanks,

Jon

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was using the desktop version and I was not using bookmarks. The issue was solved for me pretty quickly by simply clearing all the filters so if someone else has the same issue they should try this. It may not work in their individual scenario but it certainly worked for me so I thought I should share this as a solution in case it helps someone else.

"Selection" tab

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smjzahid ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

i have a similar problem .. Not sure what is caused even though i have latest version installed. i deleted slicers without reseting it which is causing the issue.. I am sure their shoudl be easier way to remove filter even though it doesn't show  and i can't figure out what it is

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similiar issue.  I created a PBIX file in Power BI Desktop, which has a ton of filters set at the "Visual Filter Level."  Once I publish the file all of my filters break!  Sure I can press the "Reset all filters" button in Power BI Pro, but as soon as I move to another page and come back, the filters are broken again!  Please tell me this is an easy fix.

Thanks,

Jon

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smjzahid,

By my test with the latest version of Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.66.5376.1681), I cannot reproduce your issue.

Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop, if not, please update it and try again.

If you have installed the latest version and still have this issue, please close the pbix file and open it again, will it still have this issue?

In addition, the filter should be created by Slicer, page level filter and visual level filter. Please confirm that if you clear all. 

If you still have the issue, please  a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the issue, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

How did you originally apply the filter?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.