Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mohassan99
Helper II
Helper II

Can you switch from editor view to reading view? How?

Can you switch from editor view to reading view? How?

Why? I want to act like a reader to see what readers will be able to do as I try to manage what they can and cant do for better general user experience and maybe data security.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mohassan99 ;

When you publish to a service in Power BI Daektop, you default to the admin role. The admin role is both editable and viewable. If you want someone to only view content, you can change someone's role to Viewer. It is important to ensure that the workspace has an admin role.
In service, when you open the report, it reading view, and only when you click Edit can you enter edit.

Or you could add Power BI apps. when open it, it reading view. 

vyalanwumsft_0-1652162045972.png

vyalanwumsft_1-1652162222321.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-service-vs-desktop

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mohassan99 ;

When you publish to a service in Power BI Daektop, you default to the admin role. The admin role is both editable and viewable. If you want someone to only view content, you can change someone's role to Viewer. It is important to ensure that the workspace has an admin role.
In service, when you open the report, it reading view, and only when you click Edit can you enter edit.

Or you could add Power BI apps. when open it, it reading view. 

vyalanwumsft_0-1652162045972.png

vyalanwumsft_1-1652162222321.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-service-vs-desktop

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

Mark my post as a solution if it helped you and help this community back

Or let us know for any further questions

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

@mohassan99 ,

Admin is the one who added you to the workspace Yes, we can't switch it like this. 

To change the View like this itself is the breach of security until and unless you are an Admin

Regards,

Ritesh

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

@Moha 

What about this table which will give you all the information?

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

And Switching the roles lies with Admin Understanding Power BI administrator roles - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Ritesh
Mark my post as a solution if it helped you| Munde and Kudis (Ladies and Gentlemen) I like your Kudos!! !!
My YT Channel Dancing With Data !! Connect on Linkedin !!Power BI for Tableau Users 

If I have access to PowerBI Desktop am I necessarily in a workspace? I'm not sure I am. I dont know who the admin is or what my role is. It seems like the answer to the question is no. I cannot look at the report as the consumer would see it by flipping a switch. 

I dont want to change a role, but a view. Of course I cant change my own role. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.