Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lombardit7
Regular Visitor

Can you refresh a data model

Here's the scenario:

1. I created a data model in Power Pivot - connected to 22 queries, relationships are built out, measures have been added. 
  2. I imported that data model into Power BI - everything transferred over correctly. 
  3. As I am building out the report in Power BI, I realized that I need to add a few new measures. Easy enough to do in Power BI, but now there is a discrepancy between my Power BI data model and my Power Pivot data model. 
  4. Here's my question: Is there a way to "refresh" the data model I already have imported into Power BI? So, if I need a new measure, I can add into Power Pivot first, and then refresh the Power BI report?
  5. Otherwise, I am forced to either make the same change twice in both models, or create an entirely new report with the updated Power Pivot model.
  6. Yes, I realize that I can "detach" myself from the Power Pivot model and use Power BI, but I plan on adding in several new queries over the next month or so, and don't feel Power BI is equipped to handle the entire ETL and Data modeling process.

Thanks in advance!   

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lombardit7,

Based on test, current power bi desktop not support this feature, you need to re-import from power pivot. (The refresh function only refresh the data not the data model)

For your requirement, you can vote below ideal:

Refresh/Re-Import PowerPivot Data Model & Measures

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.