Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samloud
Frequent Visitor

Can you import an existing AAS tabular MODEL (not data) into Power BI?

The reverse of this question gets asked a lot, but I can't seme to find an answer to my particualar (somewhat niche!) case.

I have a complicated and mature Tabular Analysis Services solution authoured in Visual Studio, and deployed to Azure.

I want to replicate that model in Power BI Desktop. To be clear, I don't care about the data, I just want to pull in the schema, calculations, roles etc. Basically, I want to see whether we can tear out AAS, Azure SQL dB, and SSIS, and operate this model just on pure Power BI. 

How do-able is that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @samloud ,

Based on my research, we could not find an effective solution to replicate AAS tabular model into power bi desktop directly. You can  import data and remodeling in desktop although in this way the two models are similar.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, can we change live connection to import mode in middle of development ?

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samloud ,

You should know that:

1. When you get data from AAS in power bi desktop ,Live connection mode will get the entire external model including frame and data.
  2. In Live connection mode, you can only create some measures when modeling data 

For further information about live connection and tabular model, you can refer the following Microsoft documents and blogs that could help you:

1. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about
  2. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Live-connection-vs-Import-comparison-and-li...
  3. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-analysis-services-tabular-data

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @samloud 

Sure, when connecting to your SSAS instance you have two choices, import or live as per the article below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-analysis-services-tabular-data

As for replacing Azure SQL DB and SSIS you can explore Dataflows.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

This is NOT the solution...

Given the new updates:

This is a NEEDED functionlity: replicate JSON from AAS Tabular exatctly to new PBIS (IMPORT mode) model.

We want to migrate from AAS to PBIS asap and there needs to be a solid/approved method to do that, IMO.

Thanks for your response. It's a pretty strange request, so let me try to be more clear about what I'm trying to do:

I'm not trying to make a Live connection from PBI to a AAS tabular model. That's what we do now.

I'm not trying to import the data from a AAS tabular model into PBI, becuase that only brings in flattened record sets. No calcualtion definitions, no relationships, no data sources.

Let me ask the question another way: If I was to say to you "You see this complicated Tabular model in AAS? Well, I'd like you to replicate it perfectly, only using Power BI", then how would you go about doing it?

Given the new updates:

This is a NEEDED functionlity: replicate JSON from AAS Tabular exatctly to new PBIS (IMPORT mode) model.

We want to migrate from AAS to PBIS asap and there needs to be a solid/approved method to do that, IMO.

Hi @samloud ,

Based on my research, we could not find an effective solution to replicate AAS tabular model into power bi desktop directly. You can  import data and remodeling in desktop although in this way the two models are similar.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

Thanks for trying. It's a pity, becuase it's so easy to do it the other way from PBI into AAS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.