Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arvindyadav
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Can we provide limited access to user (RLS) in power bi

Hi All,

How can I give limited access to my user to access his/her data only in power BI .

Regards,

Arvind

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @arvindyadav

Yes that is correct. If a user is a member in an App Workspace they can see all their data.

There is some work in a pipeline to change it so that if a user is a Read Only Member in an App Workspace that RLS will be applied, but that is currently not implemented.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @arvindyadav

depending on how you set up your RLS if you did it with each user having a row then you would add them in with another row based on their Employee Name.

If you did it for a particualar role then change it from the && to an OR "||" which would then evaluate it for both conditions.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @arvindyadav

If your user has had RLS applied, then when they view the data either that is shared with them or via an App they will only see the data that they are allowed to see.

If you can perhaps provide more details in terms of limited access?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Used RLS from desktop and it works but is member can view their work visualization life-time ?

Regards,

Arvind

Hi @arvindyadav

If you remove the person from the members, the RLS will then apply.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

If I didn't remove the member then it is applicable for lifetime?

Regards,

Arvind

Hi @arvindyadav

Yes that is correct. If a user is a member in an App Workspace they can see all their data.

There is some work in a pipeline to change it so that if a user is a Read Only Member in an App Workspace that RLS will be applied, but that is currently not implemented.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

One more doubt Suppose I want to share a dashboard to you and there is no RLS things apply for you BUT I want you have all access for every region and there are Two people name as Ajay and Amar and I have provide them only one specific region access with the help of RLS factor in power BI. So this  is available in power bi or not ? If yes, then please provide me solution.

A very thanks to you in advance.

Regards,

Arvind

Hi @arvindyadav

If I understand correctly what you are asking if you can have one person who will have access to all the data?

And then two other people who will have access to their specific region?

If that is the case, then yes this can be done. 

For the people who require specific access you can review this blog post by Kasper De Jonge in terms of how it all works and pieces together: https://www.kasperonbi.com/dynamic-security-made-easy-with-ssas-2016-and-power-bi/

Then for your user who you want to have access to everything what I typically do is to give this user a row for every region.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

I got nothing just blank while I made role like [Employee_Name]="XYZ"&& [Employee_Name]="abc"

and if i make role like [Employee_Name]="XYZ" then I will getting every data of "XYZ".

But I want "XYZ" as well "abc" in one role how can I get this please provide me details.

Regards,

Arvind.

Hi @arvindyadav

depending on how you set up your RLS if you did it with each user having a row then you would add them in with another row based on their Employee Name.

If you did it for a particualar role then change it from the && to an OR "||" which would then evaluate it for both conditions.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks alot!!!!

Regards,
Arvind

It is a pleasure, glad you got it working!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Can You please provide me more specific content or If you have some video then it is also fine for me.

Regards,

Arvind.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.