Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AS_1521
Regular Visitor

Can we insert Or Update records in SQL Server table using Power BI report

Hi All,

I hvae table in Sql Server like Employee with EmployeeName and Officecodes attributes.

I hvae to insert the values into a table using POWER BI report is it possible?

Base table like below

EmployeeName  OfficeCode

ABC                    NSA

If i want to add any reocrd int the existing table I dont want to use any sql / .Net application.

I want to insert the values through my Power Bi report.

Regards,

Anil

7 REPLIES 7
psolli
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi All,

Development in Power BI is going so fast it is hard to keep up. Power BI is a FANTASTIC system for entering records, updating numbers, and goal seeking DAX formulas. You can your Visual Planning from Power ON.

Here is a great link to get started: http://poweronbi.com/powerbi-visual-planning

There is a great video to get started. The cool thing is that it works from Excel to Power BI as well.

Additionally you can use Power Update to Load all Data from a Power BI data model to SQL for easy ELT (Extract Load Transform) modification of data. https://twitter.com/PowerONbi/status/887673890167803904

http://poweronbi.com/2017/06/power-update-from-power-bi-desktop-to-sql-server/

Please help spread the word about using Power BI for Corporate Performance instead of Anaplan, IBM Cognos TM1, SAP BPC, Hyperion Planning and other pricey tools.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically, you could abuse the Sql.Database() function in M in some way to run arbitrary SQL against a database. However, this is a bad idea, and you probably shouldn't do this. Giving a BI tool write access to a database is just asking for horrible things to happen to both your data, as well as your employment status at your company.

At the Insights Summit, they announced an incoming integration with PowerApps and Power BI. If I were you, I'd wait until this feature is released and fleshed out if you really want both read and write capability out of your Power BI dashboards.

Hello Sonny,
Thank for your replay.
This is my requirements to give the ui based report to user , then user wants to insert records into the existing table.
I did in .net but client want s to do the UI in power bi only. Already I informed to him only we can visualize the data through power bi but not using as UI.

@AS_1521 i remember a while back you could in power bi embedded if i remember correctly, but not sure if that still stands

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-walkthrough-push-data-get-datase...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you Vanessa for your reply.
Yes previously I was posted related to publish on web rls report. It's not possible. With out rls we can published on the web.

Hi @AS_1521,

As disscused above, Power BI is a Business Inteligence tool for users to fetch and analyze underlying data. Currently, it is not possible to consider a Power BI report as UI to edit or insert data records in database.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AS_1521,

PBI is a business analytics tools as such it does not allow you to add values to your database, you can only extract and analyze your information in different ways, it's a Business Inteligence progam as such not for inputs but for data analytics.

Regard,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.