Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ankbaner
Helper I
Helper I

Can we create new column by datastream connection with Power BI ?

Hi,

I have 2 datastreams, DS_A and DS_B, in my PBI Workspace. I am connecting PBI desktop with both the datastreams, but I found different behaviour while connecting to these datastreams.

1. DS_A : After connecting to DS_A, I can create “New Columns” as well as “New Measure”.
  2. DS_B : After connecting to DS_B, I can not create “New Columns”.

ankbaner_0-1646335943207.png

Although, in both the cases, I have selected the below setting in Power BI file.

ankbaner_1-1646335962327.png

Any suggestions would be really helpful. 

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

After doing couple of testing, I have noticed that if datastream is hosted in PPU workspace, then it does not allow the users to add New column while directly connecting to dataset and throws does not have access error. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ankbaner 
Thanks for your feedback, it seems like I need to learn about datastream.
Hopefully some experts can solve your problem, and if I can find an answer to this question I'll post it here as well.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ankbaner 

Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services requires your report to have a local model. You can start from a live connection and add or upgrade to a local model, or start with a DirectQuery connection or imported data, which automatically creates a local model in your report.

If you want to customize the metadata of fields in your live connected dataset, select Make changes to this model in the status bar. Alternatively, you can click the Make changes to this model button in the ribbon, as shown in the following image. In Report View the Make changes to this model button in the Modeling tab. In Model View, the button is in the Home tab.

vangzhengmsft_0-1646618694711.png

Selecting the button displays a dialog confirming addition of a local model. Select Add a local model to enable creating new columns or modifying the metadata, for fields from Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Services. The following image shows the dialog that's displayed.

refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-angzheng-msft ,

Thank you for providing the steps and associated document. But when I tried to click "Make changes to this model" icon, I am getting the below error (below screenshot). Although, I am admin of the workspace and I have also build permission to access the dataset. Can you suggest what can be the cause ?

ankbaner_0-1646730383981.png

Thanks in advance !

Hi, @ankbaner 

vangzhengmsft_1-1646892304314.png

This seems to be a problem with the access credentials, try re-editing the permissions.

File -->Options and Settings -->Data source settings-->Edit Permissions

vangzhengmsft_0-1646892231586.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-angzheng-msft ,

As per recommended, after following the settings 

File -->Options and Settings -->Data source settings, it is throwing the list of the datasets (below screenshots) and the desktop file do not provide the option to "Edit Permission".

ankbaner_0-1647416614052.png

Hi, @ankbaner 

In Power BI service, click on the schedule refresh icon of the dataset to go to the settings option and update the credentials under the edit credentials option, if the option is grayed out, check your gateway connection.

vangzhengmsft_0-1647421333675.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-angzheng-msft ,

As mentioned , I am connecting to datastream and datastream do not have option of schedule refresh and not needed to connect to Gateway.

ankbaner_0-1647425480940.png

Hi,

After doing couple of testing, I have noticed that if datastream is hosted in PPU workspace, then it does not allow the users to add New column while directly connecting to dataset and throws does not have access error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.