Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we create a new table in Power bi by picking columns from Various excel files in same report ?

Hi Community,

I have a requirement to build few visuals using 5 different spreadsheets(LIFT,LAS,WAS,LIFT-DRMONs,MQs)  that are connected to Power BI desktop. Below shown are the visuals and requirements customer is looking for. 

The Columns that i need to use for this calculations are coming from 5 different spreadsheets and i cannot combine them as they are not similar to each other. 

Is it possible to pick all the required columns from each spreadsheet and build one more table in Power Bi ? 

Please guide me on how we can acheive this . I tried DAX functions like Selectcolumns ,Summarize to create a sub table . However, those are accepting columns only from one spreadsheet ,but not from others. 

Visual DesignVisual DesignPie Chart requirementPie Chart requirementTable visual requirementTable visual requirement

Thanks,

G venkatesh 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

You could use union() to create pie chart.

Pie= VAR _a=SUMMARIZE('LIFT',[B],"category","LEFT")
VAR _b=SUMMARIZE('LIFT-DRMONs',[B],"category","LIFT-DRMONS")
VAR _c=SUMMARIZE('LAS',[B],"category","LAS")
VAR _d=SUMMARIZE('WAS',[B],"category","WAS")
VAR _e=SUMMARIZE('MQs',[B],"category","MQs")
return UNION(_a,_b,_c,_d,_e)

The final output is shown below:

vyalanwumsft_0-1628226405266.png

If not right, can you share a simple data removing information, along with the results you want to output?
Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

You could use union() to create pie chart.

Pie= VAR _a=SUMMARIZE('LIFT',[B],"category","LEFT")
VAR _b=SUMMARIZE('LIFT-DRMONs',[B],"category","LIFT-DRMONS")
VAR _c=SUMMARIZE('LAS',[B],"category","LAS")
VAR _d=SUMMARIZE('WAS',[B],"category","WAS")
VAR _e=SUMMARIZE('MQs',[B],"category","MQs")
return UNION(_a,_b,_c,_d,_e)

The final output is shown below:

vyalanwumsft_0-1628226405266.png

If not right, can you share a simple data removing information, along with the results you want to output?
Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yalanwu-msft ,

This is Amazing and exactly the same solution I am looking for. Thanks a lot for detail explanation in pbix file. 

I was able to get what i am looking for . 

Cheers !! 

Thanks,

G Venkatesh 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"and i cannot combine them as they are not similar to each other"   - thanks, I needed that chuckle.

You can calculate all your required values in Power Query and then merge them there.  

NOTE:  Using a pie chart for the visualization is a bad idea. A pie chart suggests that the values in it add up to a whole entity.  Clearly not the case in your scenario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors