Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we add user input field on Report

Hi All,

Can we add user input field on report and do calculation  ? Free Form on Report.

Ex :  2 + 5 - 4 =  3 

2 and 5  is a user input box on the report and 4 is pulled from database.  Can we achieve this? 

Thank you 🙂

17 REPLIES 17
AbelNewton
Frequent Visitor

I am late. But What-If parameter may be what you were looking for. 

GiaMetcalf
Frequent Visitor

Hi - a simple question.  Is there a way in Power BI to define input fields (I.E.begin and end date ranges).  When the report is published, allow the user to input a date range and then generate the report based on these input parameters?

Sounds like you are looking for parameters:

http://biinsight.com/power-bi-desktop-query-parameters-part-1/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

kuji
Frequent Visitor

Saw this post in 2022 and am an avid reader of your blogs- just wanted to say thank you for all your contributions over the years with Power BI - you have really helped me (and others I am sure!) in solving some complex problems. Wish you best for the future. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I agree with @Sean. Currently, the feature about inputting values in a report is not supported. Please vote on this idea item mentioned by Sean: input fields . In addition, I already reported the issue internally, will keep you update once I get any updates.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft

Would be interested to see where you see the differences between the parameter-features within the last release I've mentioned and the request you've forwarded. Both do (request) exactly the same in my eyes:

Taking user input and placing it at the desired places in the queries/code in order to filter or parametrize the output.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF,

In Power BI Desktop April update version, values for query parameters are pre-defined in Query Editor, still no way to input values at runtime.

Howeve, what I think @Anonymous's requirement is input values in report, while query parameters can't achieve this goal.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Qiuyun_Y : I Agree with you , Parameter can NOT solve the user input Free Form. Thanks

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I agree too. Parameters are not the same and would be cumbersome compared to entering values directly in the report, allowing quick scenarios input one after another.

There has to be a way to hack this

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You might be able to pull it off with a combination of slicers, but not free form like that. So make the first two numbers slicers to tables of numbers and then write a measure that does a SUM from each of those tables. and then the rest of the calculation.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've used this where the input fields are limited. These figures are then used for calculations elsewhere on the page looking at headcount.

slicers.JPG

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes, good idea. I've done this too. For example, one of our sales teams wants to create new sales goals for the year for our distributors, I have a Growth Goal drop-down, which lists all options from 0 to 100% and they can select the one they want and see how it impacts all the goals calculations in the report. It works pretty well, but they are limited to entering only what is included in the table for selection. Works good for this, but may be tougher in a situation that requires a lot of granularity or really specific numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Smoupre, If i correctly understand i should create a Slicer with Tables of numbers (pre-populated numbers i your column) ?

But still user will not be able to enter the Real number e.g 2.7 + 3.9 , as this is a financial report.

Any other solution ? 

Is it possible if i can create small what-if analysis table in Excel and upload on Report and hence in PBI Service ? Will this work. 

Might if you connect it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

In the latest PBI-update they've shipped parameter support as well: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-update-feature-summary/?utm_content=...

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Not currently possible.

Are you talking about something like this?

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9414921-input-fields

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.