Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Can this be done in Power BI? Don't need solution, just to know if capability exists

Multi_Factor.PNG

About:

Above is a snap shot of a report in a pivot table (Excel) that is one of two main reports at my firm.  The conditional formatting is based on another tables value.  {Green for value less than 0.75; Yellow between 0.75 & 1.00, Red for greater than 1.00}.  The {0.75, 1.00} values are not absolute values, but values that change overtime and are stored in another table.

Question:

My question is whether or not this can be done in Power BI in some capacity?

Additional Info:

I know the conditional formatting does not exist...yet... in Power BI; would it be possible in a measure?  

Kindly,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

in someway there is some kind of conditional formatting, but unfortunately not in a way to answer your requirement, for this reaon I use some kind of measure that is responsible for the column Light

Some kind of traffic lights.png

The measure utilizes the capabilities of the "mystic" function UNICHAR 🙂 and looks like this

Light = UNICHAR(if(AND([Amount PY] >= 0, [Amount PY] < 140), 128213, if(AND([Amount PY] >= 140, [Amount PY] < 200), 128210, 128215)))

From a usability point of view, this is much less than can "easily" achieved in EXCEL but the degree of freedom is beyond, besides the aspect that you have to use your own column.

Hope this gives you an idea

Regards

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

in someway there is some kind of conditional formatting, but unfortunately not in a way to answer your requirement, for this reaon I use some kind of measure that is responsible for the column Light

Some kind of traffic lights.png

The measure utilizes the capabilities of the "mystic" function UNICHAR 🙂 and looks like this

Light = UNICHAR(if(AND([Amount PY] >= 0, [Amount PY] < 140), 128213, if(AND([Amount PY] >= 140, [Amount PY] < 200), 128210, 128215)))

From a usability point of view, this is much less than can "easily" achieved in EXCEL but the degree of freedom is beyond, besides the aspect that you have to use your own column.

Hope this gives you an idea

Regards

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning,

I tried to apllied this solution but it just shows black squares, without color. Is this valid anymore? The field (a measure) is formatted as Text.

Regards,

@AnonymousI know for the formatting to work, you must be in Windows 10.  It syncs better with Power BI.  You on Win10?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, neither am I in W10, nor the clients I am developing for, but I'll keep it in mind.

Regards,

@TomMartens

Having trouble getting this to execute properly.

How did you get colors on them?  Conditional formatting or are the UNICHAR # supposed to already be colored?

The UNICHAR # are already colored, if you are on Windows 7 this might be an issue, Windows 10 and Power BI service works flawless, as you can see on my pictures 😉

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens  

I am on Windows 7.  This could be the source of the problem.  Thank you, give me something to work on.  

I use Windows 10 when I export the Dashboard to ppt, the unichar colors doesnt show up. What can be the reason?

Time to migrate 😉

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

My IT dept. would have a cow....but I hope MS rolls out measure based conditional formatting soon & that'll be huge for our adoption.

Hey,

I wouldn't bet a cow on what will arrive first.

But maybe you want to try another approach. In this thread https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/power-bi-Table-Visuilation-in-R/m-p/234095#M104251 I mentioned the R package gridExtra. Personally my favorite solution if the table is not huge and you need complex formatting in your table. The only drawback, currently a R script visual is not interactive.

Regards

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

Thank you for the speedy response.  The workaround is professional.  I look forward to the day MS is able to expand their conditional formatting capabilities in Power BI, but this is a solid workaround in the mean time.

Thank you,

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.