Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

neadhs
Frequent Visitor

Can't sign in Power BI desktop

When I'm trying to sign in my email on Power BI desktop, press next and then the dialog box closes and nothing happens further (it is supposed to ask for a password).

Did anyone encounter this problem?

Capture2.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
gbortoli

I had the same problem here.

When clicking on "Sign In", the pop up with username appeared, but after hitting OK, it disapeared and nothing more happened.

For me, the solution was on DNS filter blocking one of the following addresses:

• api.powerbi.com
  • pi.powerbi.com
  • domains in the *.analysis.windows.net namespace

I just put them on white list and everything came back to normal.

Hope it helps!

Seems to be a broad range of issues causing this. But I had the issue for a long time and just recently upgraded the client software and it was fixed after trying all the other recommended fixes.

Tengo

I just had the same issue, on my power bi desktop on windows 10 VM. I tryed things listed below, such as useing default web browser, but it didt solve my problem. So, I just restarted VM, and it works :). As last thing I'd reinstall the pbi.

nvdbijl

Same issue. I click Sign in. Asks email address. Enter Email address, click continue and then the thing that Microsoft does really well happens. NOTHING..

ferk_
Frequent Visitor

found out on the internet that the solution was to tick this Use my default web browser and Use updated sign-in experience (Options and settings -> Options -> Security). This worked for me, if it works for you Accept this reply as Solution. 

This worked for me. Thank you! (also using a VM via Citrix Workspace) 

MrBillEE

I had the same issue. I was trying to sign in with a Work Account and after entering my email and hitting CONTINUE, the box would dissapear and not ask me for a password. At this point Power BI Desktop was covering the entire screen. I happened to minimize Power BI and found a Microsoft Account login window asking for my email address. I entered my email address and then password. After doing so, I was then logged into Power BI desktop.

So I would suggest minimizing the application and looking for a popup to login to the app.

Can you explain better your solution? I'm still struggling. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello

Did anyone come up with the solution? I have the same problem

xr8

This can happen because Microsoft Power BI wont let you know when youre offline when attempting to log in. Instead, it will just not prompt you for the password after entering in your email/username. Therefor, make sure you are actually connected to the internet before attempting to log in

nch_pf
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here started in the last week or 2. Any resolution?

sfelwy2
Frequent Visitor

Hi neadhs,

I'm facing a similar issue.

Did you manage to find a solution? If yes, can you please share some steps on how to fix it?

Thanks!

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @neadhs ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @neadhs ,

I tried it locally and everything works fine, no problems.

vluwangmsft_0-1629964497292.png

Try to download the lastest version from this link:

the lastest Version: 2.96.701.0 64-bit

Alternatively, you can try downloading Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft Store.(refer :https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/ )

And you  could  use fiddler to trace sign in operations to find out which request has been blocked or post failed. (you can also check policy and firewall settings)

And you could try the solutions the following article tells:

How to Fix Power BI Desktop Won't Sign in Error

Power BI Desktop won’t sign in: 5 fixes to quickly fix the issue

Best Regards

Lucien

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@neadhs Are you sure that the email address you are providing is tied to an Power BI/Office 365 account?

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors