Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

williethompson
Frequent Visitor

Can't set Data Category for field in shared dataset

I have connected to a shared dataset and wish to set the Data Category of a field on a table to "Web URL".

I've clicked on the field in the "Fields" pane and see in the "Column Tools" ribbon menu the enabled "Data Category" dropdown.

williethompson_0-1594651617347.png

I click on the dropdown and click on "Web URL", but the Data Category value remains "Uncategorized". I can't seem to assign any category to this field/column.

If this is not the way to set a field as "Web URL" using a shared dataset, how can I do so?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@williethompson you have to make the change to the dataset you are connected to, once you have a live connection, you cannot make changes to the model. Seems like this option is enabled but actually doesn't work when using the live connection. Logically it should be disabled.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@williethompson you have to make the change to the dataset you are connected to, once you have a live connection, you cannot make changes to the model. Seems like this option is enabled but actually doesn't work when using the live connection. Logically it should be disabled.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k OK an update: after trying this a few more times, I went to the Home menu and clicked "Refresh" thinking that might help and look! The Data Category is now changed.

williethompson_0-1594654403066.png

So, it seems I can indeed change the Data Category from the pbix file connected to a live dataset, but there's a bug in the UI. 

It would be better to make this change on the dataset pbix file and not in the report file connected to the dataset, but that does not seem to be the case here. 

Hi @williethompson ,

After testing, I still can't change data category using live connection. And as I know, it is not supported now. Can you reproduce it? Can you please share the detailed steps?  I know that lots of users are confused about this. If you can implement it, more people benefit from your solution.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-xuding-msft 

I was not able to replicate, so I think I must have made the change on the shared dataset. 

It seems like a good idea to make the Data Category greyed out like the other options on the ribbon menu in this case, since it can't be changed. 

@williethompson not sure if I followed, I'm unable to change the date category in the report which is connected to live dataset, not sure how you end up doing it, weird though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.