Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jgrundah
Helper I
Helper I

Can't select two point on a Map to filter page after May release

Prior to the May release I was able to 'Ctrl'+click point on a map and have the page filter for these points.  Now when I try to 'Ctrl'+click only the point I clicked on is selected.  I found the 'Ctrl'+click feature very useful.

Is there a setting that I can change or other method for selecting mutliple data points on a map to filter a page?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jgrundah,

I don’t have December 2015 release of Power BI Desktop and cannot test the feature in it. However, when I test the ctrl+click feature in Map including legend field by using Power BI Desktop February release version , it is also unavailable.

Power BI Desktop version is updated every month and there are some changes of Visualizations in different Power BI Desktop versions. Regarding to this ctrl+click feature in Map visual in latest version of Power BI  Desktop, you can submit your idea on the Power BI Idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-i​deas  .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jgrundah,

I don’t have December 2015 release of Power BI Desktop and cannot test the feature in it. However, when I test the ctrl+click feature in Map including legend field by using Power BI Desktop February release version , it is also unavailable.

Power BI Desktop version is updated every month and there are some changes of Visualizations in different Power BI Desktop versions. Regarding to this ctrl+click feature in Map visual in latest version of Power BI  Desktop, you can submit your idea on the Power BI Idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-i​deas  .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jgrundah,

I am able to use Ctrl + click feature to select more than one point in Map when using Power BI Desktop (2.35.4399.601). Have you tried to install Power BI desktop in other computer and check if the Ctrl + click feature is available?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I tested it on two computers, the results are the same.

So you were able to select two points on a map and have the page filtered based on those two points?

The file has multiple tables that are linked.  Would that make a difference?

Hi @jgrundah,

Below is the screenshot in my environment, when I use ctrl +click feature to filter data of three cities in Map, the Matrix visual is also filtered. Do you want to get the same behavior in your PBIX file? If so, would you mind sharing your PBIX file so that I can test it?

Capture.JPG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I can share my PBIX file.  I am not sure where I can attach it.

I have installed a few visuals, would that be the problem.  I don't know how to uninstall visuals.

Thanks

UPDATE:

I seem to lose the ability to select more than one point on a map when I add a legend field.

Hi @jgrundah,

I can reproduce your issue when adding legend in Map visual. From my point of perspective, it is a normal behavior that Ctrl + click feature is not available in this case,  and it makes sense. When we click a point in Map, we are not choosing the whole point but a portion of the point because of the existence of legend.

To work around the above issue, you can drag your fields in Page level Filters, and then filter the visuals on your page by selecting multiple values.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I am using the Legend more as a catergory.  Each point on the map can only have one catergory.  I guess I need to suggested a new feature on the map that add a category field.

Why was it possable to control+click maps with a legend field in the December 2015 release?  If it was a mistake, I liked the mistake.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jgrundah,

Could you please describe more details about your scenario? We need to know that which version of  Power BI Desktop you are using and how you select multiple points on a map to filter a page. We will appreciate it if you can post a screenshot.

In addition, you can add a slicer on your report and click the points you want in the slicer to filter data in Map, then use visual level filters/page level filters to filter these selected points again.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Problem01.png

Currently I am using Power BI Desktop (2.35.4399.601) which I upgraded from version 2.30 (not sure of the rest of the numbers).  The previous version allowed me to click on one point on the map, then if I control+clicked another data point, both points would be selected and the other elements would be the sum of the two points.  The new version does not allow me to slect more than one point.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.