Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saintbow

Can't pull data from website

Hey Power Bi Community!

I have a major issue (major to me) that deals with pulling Data with the Get Data function from the web feature. When I input my URL that is my work website, the window that comes back once you click on view in web mode is my work’s login and password screen. Now I have tried everything and the reason why I’m in Power BI is because I was told that this program was a simple click and paste set up and I would be off flying. Now when I tried to use this function in Excel, that website had a compatibility mode issue with Excel and that is the other main reason why I made the jump to Power BI.

What I need is, to be able to access my work website, navigate the menu bar to input certain search criteria and to be able to pull the data with the results from the search criteria function from the website back to my Power BI where I will have it connected to Excel to handle the Data. I have already tried talking to a Microsoft representative and did a remote view session on my computer to show them the issue. What happened was beyond mind blowing as this person had no clue what they were doing. Even though I already have Excel and Power BI Desktop installed on my computer, they went ahead and tried to install Power BI Desktop again…twice… even though Power BI was already open on my screen for them to see… Now I know my work website is using a older version of Internet Explorer and there is no way for my employment to halt work and upgrade the website because it would cost them large amount of money to do so.

At this point I am desperate to get this working as my boss is on me to start producing. I’m already paying for Office 365 and soon will be paying for the Power BI online package, plus another MS program; at this point, I can’t afford to pay for another said program that will do the job I was told that Power BI was going to do, where Excel said it was going to do as well. Is there a work around to help me gain access to my employments website, a Power BI app, a free MS program that would work in conjunction that would help access and download that data from the website? I have seen on the Community forums one post asked about the “HTTP Request Header Parameters” where they used “Cookie”, what would be the command line to input in the blank box so that it would accept my ID and Password? I’m under the gun here and also the amount of data pulls I have to do from my work website is in the range of 24,000 times a day. Any and all suggestions would be a big help!

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Getting data from the web supports 5 different authentication modes, Anonymous, Windows, Basic, Web API and Organizational account. Obviously anonymous isn't going to work. Have you tried Basic? What is the authentication of the web app using? Is it forms? Is this a custom website or is it based on a content management tool?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors