Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohannB
Helper I
Helper I

Can't publish a report from Power BI Desktop

I have build a few reports in Power BI Desktop, and being a new user I do not know what I need to publish a report . I would like to if I can publish the reports to a dedicated server where all our managers have access to. How should I approach it and is it possible. Please assist./

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JohannB,

Hi JohannB,

We don't need a special software. Power BI Service aims to share reports and collaborate with colleagues. Power BI has three main parts, which are Service, Desktop, Mobile.

In your scenario, an app workspace would be a good idea. In general, members in an app workspace can have the same access to dataset, reports, dashboards. (or just view).

About analyze in excel: powerbi-service-analyze-in-excel

About App workspace: powerbi-service-what-are-apps

About share dashboard: powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JohannB,

Firstly, you need a Power BI Service account. Sign in or sign up in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/.

Secondly, sign in in Power BI Desktop. Then you can publish report to Service.Can't publish a report from Power BI Desktop.jpg

Thirdly, you can see your report in the Power BI Service.Can't publish a report from Power BI Desktop2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @JohannB,

Could you please share the answer or mark the proper answer as solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Seems to me that the answers here are evasive and unclear. MS is shooting itself in the foot if it makes it difficult to use Power BI inside an organisation. It's hard to see what the point of Power BI is over and above Power Query/Power PIVOT when you can share those within teams for example but can't share Power BI. Nevertheless Power BI seems to be new and shiny to most who don't even know that they already have most of what it can do in Pro Excel, except for the publishing side, which, it turns out, is severely restricted by a hard to fathom licensing regime which itself hides behind jargon to make the answers that are given, for example on this forum, more or less impenetrable (that is, hard to make sense of for those who find English impenetrable :-))

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue.  I have a Power BI Service account.  I've created a report and published.  However, It does not show up in the Service workspace under Reports or anywhere else.  What have I done wrong?

Hi jhammond1, 

I  have the same issue, how did you solve it?

Thank you,

Clara

Hi Dale,

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the information. I have managed to create a Power BI Service account but found that I needed Power BI Pro to publish.

Can you assist me by specifying what software our managers need to access these report and give them the ability to see records from the report and export it to Excel for further analysis.

Regards

JohannB

@JohannB,

Hi JohannB,

We don't need a special software. Power BI Service aims to share reports and collaborate with colleagues. Power BI has three main parts, which are Service, Desktop, Mobile.

In your scenario, an app workspace would be a good idea. In general, members in an app workspace can have the same access to dataset, reports, dashboards. (or just view).

About analyze in excel: powerbi-service-analyze-in-excel

About App workspace: powerbi-service-what-are-apps

About share dashboard: powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors