Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdt008
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can't publish a report from Power BI Desktop

Been trying to publish from Power BI Desktop for 2 days and all I get is a dialogue box saying "Publishing to Power BI" and it shows a spinning wheel.  I am not in IT.  How do we start to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

@jdt008 Going to need some more info. What is your data source? Are you set up as a user in the Power BI Service (Free or Pro)? Is this the only publish you have tried, or have you been successful with others but this one won't work? Any other context may be helpful for people to determine what the issue may be.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Also, the issue happens only when I'm replacing a dataset.  I've replaced many times in the past.  

@jdt008 Trying to repro, but I need to update all my EG's.. Have you got the latest?

In addition, rather than publishing, have you tried to pull it up from the Service via "Get Data"?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check with my IT department on the EG update.  Also, I just published a new _v2 version of my file and then published a replacement to that same _v2 file with success.  It seems to be the longstanding dataset that is specifically having the problem.  I've been replacing that dataset for months with success, but have not been able to as of the afternoon of 6/1/2016.  I noticed that the longstanding dataset is grayed out while the others are not, but cannot be certain that it wasn't grayed out before 6/1.  Maybe the EG update will help?  Thanks for your help with this.

@jdt008 One final note, it might be worth posting this in the "issues" section. I believe I've read somewhere along the line here that there were some recent issues that needed to be resolved with older data sets not being updated appropriately, or something to that effect. A fix for some of those issues was supposed to drop pretty soon. (Don't know if this is related)

hi @jdt008

is the problem solved for you?

power bi team said it was fixed but i'm still having this issue unfortunately....

it's a road blocker for me.. can someone help?

Power BI Service Pro user for 12 months.  Have been able to publish from desktop to power bi since desktop was released last year. We publish report updates multiple times a week.  Data Source is a tabular model.  Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.