Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkcasey
Frequent Visitor

Can't publish - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I have a couple of reports that I update monthly and then publish and share the dashboard. No major changes this month - mostly data and filters. Everything looks totally cool in Desktop. However, when I tried to publish them both I got an error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I did not get to the usual - you already have a report with this name do you want to replace. Everything on PowerBI.com looks normal.

I am on the 365 Pro trial.  Any thoughts? THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rkcasey
Frequent Visitor

Update - it appears that this ONLY is an issue if you use the publish button on the HOME ribbon - if you choose the publish option from file tab it works fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
hermesgoddess
Frequent Visitor

I also get this error. But the proposed solution is not working for me. I still get the same error if I go through the File->Publish route. I am also on Power BI Pro Trial. However, I get past the "You already have a report with this name do you want to replace" step. Please help. 

I normally update my report daily. I was out of the office for a few days and did not update since Jul 11, 2017, which published fine. 

I am getting the same error when trying to do the same thing. I also just made sure to update PowerBI desktop to. Publishing through File --> Publish did not work either. This is frustruating.

rkcasey
Frequent Visitor

Update - it appears that this ONLY is an issue if you use the publish button on the HOME ribbon - if you choose the publish option from file tab it works fine.

Now 1-Feb-2018 (over 6 mo later) & *still* an issue!

When does a bug become a feature? When the developers finally remove the PUBLISH/SHARE option from the menu ribbon or simply pop up w/ a message (when button pushed) - "Sorry, we cannot be bothered &/or cannot figure this error out. Use FILE - PUBLISH option instead."

wrote:

This actually helped. Home button still doesn't work but at least I can publish through File.

Glad to find this solution, but when will it be fixed? This just happened to me this morning.

Version: 2.53.4954.481 64-bit (December, 2017)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.