Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

niekdp
Frequent Visitor

Can't merge columns properly

Dear,

I have a table with exchange rates per day. An example: 

Exchange rate  currency date

1.14                    usd           01/01/2018

1.40                    cad           01/01/2018

0.90                    gbp          01/01/2018
1.15                    usd           02/01/2018
1.42                    cad           02/01/2018
0.88                    gbp          02/01/2018
1.20                    usd           03/01/2018
1.44                    cad           03/01/2018
0.86                    gbp          03/01/2018

So as you can see, the exchange rate to our base currency (EUR) changes per day. 

We also have another table with transactions per day. 
So you can have multiple transactions in different currencies per day.

To merge this colums, I made a key. 
For the exchange rate column it is p. ex: 03/01/2018GBP
In the transaction colum, I also made this key 03/01/2018GBP.

What I want to do is to have the exchange rate from the correct date and currency next to the amount the was paid in the transaction column. But if I merge these columns, Power Bi only shows me the average of GBP.

So I see every time :

01/01/2018GBP 0.88
02/01/2018GBP 0.88
03/01/2018GBP 0.88
Which isn't correct.  Is there somebody who could find the solution for my problem?
(So to see the correct exchange rate per currency per day next to the amount in the transaction column)

Kind regards 
Niek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@niekdp,

How do you merge column in query editor? I use Merge column feature in Query Editor and everything works as expected. You can paste the following code to Advanced editor of a blank query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZcwxDoAgDIXhu3Qm0BY0eBbCgJq4mhjvLwwmr2Hp0D/vK4XESyJH73P2K0GCsmSqbpTE/Xe0qbDfRrn2e97IApoaTUFT1HIGzWyUQYtGS6BFo62g/aV+", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Exchange Rate" = _t, currency = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Exchange Rate", type number}, {"currency", type text}, {"date", type date}}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Merged", each Text.Combine({[currency], Text.From([date], "en-US")}, ""), type text)
in
    #"Inserted Merged Column"

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@niekdp,

How do you merge column in query editor? I use Merge column feature in Query Editor and everything works as expected. You can paste the following code to Advanced editor of a blank query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZcwxDoAgDIXhu3Qm0BY0eBbCgJq4mhjvLwwmr2Hp0D/vK4XESyJH73P2K0GCsmSqbpTE/Xe0qbDfRrn2e97IApoaTUFT1HIGzWyUQYtGS6BFo62g/aV+", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Exchange Rate" = _t, currency = _t, date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Exchange Rate", type number}, {"currency", type text}, {"date", type date}}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Merged", each Text.Combine({[currency], Text.From([date], "en-US")}, ""), type text)
in
    #"Inserted Merged Column"

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BalaVenuGopal
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @niekdp,

Just you go to the column a which is exchangre rate and chose dont summarize which will give you required result.

Attached image 

Plese mark as solution if this works for  you.Untitled.png

HI @BalaVenuGopal

Thank you for your response.

This is actually in the querry editor it self that I don't receive the right values..

Kind regards

NIek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.