Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dajuju
Frequent Visitor

Can't get MTD to work with multiple figures for same days

I have a table reporting sales per day for multiple stores (let's say 3 stores).

This gives me 3 sets of the same date value.

ex. table name = Sales

Date           Store      Sales

1/1/2019      A         5,000.00

1/1/2019     B          10,000.00

1/1/2019     C           7,500.00

1/2/2019     A           6,000.00

1/2/2019      B          11,000.00

1/2/2019      C          6,000.00

I have a separate date table connected to the sales table, for this example let's call it dDate.

The measures I've been using are:

SumSales = SUM(Sales[sales])

SalesMTD = TOTALMTD([SumSales], dDate[Date])

When I try to use the TOTALMTD formula (using the above example for 1/2/2019) it just spits out the sales for the day of 23,000.00 instead of the MTD total of 45,500.00.

Also when I use a slicer on a graph for the MTD sales on a per-store basis it also just gives me a graph that looks like the daily sales instead of the MTD for the store.

If I separate the stores into their own tables then these same measures work fine. It's only when they are combined into this summary table that I can't get the MTD to work properly.

Any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dajuju
Frequent Visitor

In case someone else is searching for the same answer I figured it out.

I made another table that contained the date range that i wanted summation for and used the formulas shown on this page:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-create-sum-by-dates-column/m-p/199979#M87981

I made two columns, one for total sales (summed from the original table), then month to date based on the new total sales column.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dajuju 

From your description of the problem you seem to want YTD than MTD.  Have you tried TOTALYTD function.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing. I'm looking for MTD for each month, not YTD. 

I'm basically trying to compare the performance of each store to x day of the month each month.

dajuju
Frequent Visitor

In case someone else is searching for the same answer I figured it out.

I made another table that contained the date range that i wanted summation for and used the formulas shown on this page:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-create-sum-by-dates-column/m-p/199979#M87981

I made two columns, one for total sales (summed from the original table), then month to date based on the new total sales column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.