Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get 64Bit version to run on Surface Pro 3

I've got a curious issue with a staff member that i'm trying to set up Power BI for a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 Pro and 4 gb of ram.  When i first got access to the machine, it had an older Power BI 32-Bit on it that needed updating to open a file.  I uninstalled that version and did a fresh install of the latest 64-Bit version.

After doing a full system restart, Power BI won't fire up.  Using the shortcut, or trying to open a file result in the same symptom.  Power BI appears briefly in the task bar and then disappears.

Uninstalling the 64-Bit version and installing the 32-Bit version provides a functioning program, however i'm having a separate issue of this version closing unexpectidly when it tries to load a power BI file that starts to use up its memory.  Unlike what i was expecting, there is no 'Out of Memory' error message pop up, it just simply closes.  Separate problem, and the 4 gb is likely too small for Power BI

This particular machine has Office 365 32-Bit already, which i have a sneaking suspision might be the reason Power BI 64-Bit won't work (based on other forum posts i recall reading), however i've noticed that contraversial.

Does anyone have an suggestions?  Would upgrading this machine to Office 64-Bit be the best way to resolve this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to add some additional notes to this post after so further testing.

I got access to Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 and 8GB of ram.  This machine was able to run either Power BI 64-Bit or Power BI 32-Bit without the symtoms i described on the Surface Pro 3.  Similar to the Surface Pro 3, this machine also has 32-Bit Office installed.

I used the same testing file and I got the exact same crashing, but only if I used the 32-Bit version making me believe there is some limit being reached.  I wanted to add this too just incase some future person lands on this thread from a google search.  I don't quite understand what/where the 32-Bit has an upper limit with this file, as these tables have less than 300k rows.  Never the less, there was an out of memory exception without reaching all of the computers RAM.  Using the 64-Bit version avoiding this problem.

Going back to the origin of this post.  I'm still unsure why the Surface Pro 3, with 4 GB of Ram on Windows 8.1 and having 32-Bit office, wouldn't run Power BI 64-Bit.  I'm wondering if there is a conflict on Windows 8.1 between 32-Bit Office and 64-Bit Power BI.  A conflict that is not present when used on Windows 10?

Hi @Anonymous,

I test on surface pro 4 but not faced the issue. Can you please provide mode detail information about your issue? For example: version of power desktop, screenshots, operation steps...

BTW, I don't think the issue is related to office version, my test device not contain any version of office.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Works on our Office Pro 4 as well.  So here are the things that are important:

Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1

Office 32-Bit installed

Latest version of Power BI as of right now.

Steps were simply

1.  'Install Power BI 64 Bit, with 32-Bit having been uninstalled'

2.  'Run power BI from shortcut'

3. 'Watch Power BI icon appear in taskbar and then immediately disappear'

4. 'Check task manager to confirm program is no longer running'

Removing 64-bit and installing 32-Bit, none of those problems exist.

Hi @Anonymous,

Since I not have surface pro 3, I build a vm to test.(win8.1 enterprise).  But both of x86 and x64 versions for power bi desktop can run smoothly.

Untitled.png

I'm not very sure if the issue related to device, perhaps you can submit a support ticket for this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.