Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jonas_N
Regular Visitor

Can't find related data using relationship spanning across multiple tables

I try to use relationships that span multiple tables, for example, to filter, group, or to calculate measures. For example, I want to calculate how many entries in tableE are associated with an entry in tableA.

Table Structure:

tableA: id, ...
tableB: id, tableA_id, tableC_id
tableC: id
tableD: id, tableC_id, tableE_id

Relationships: tableA 1:n tableB n:1 tableC 1:n tableD n:1 tableE

To check the relationships, I tried to create a large table (in report view) that joins tableA - tableE. It is possible to join tableA, tableB and tableC and also possible to join tableC, tableD and tableE. Joining tableA - tableE on the other hand does not work.

Left: Joined tableA - tableC | Right: Joined tableC - tableE  

Jonas_N_0-1642507437596.png

Trying to join tableB on joined table "tableC - tableE"

Jonas_N_1-1642507611917.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Jonas_N,

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you create a calculated table with lookupvalue and addcolumns function to lookup correspond values to create a summary table with all related table fields.
They should better performance than creating visuals from multiple table fields based on the long single chain relationships and basic visual analysis and aggregated features.

LOOKUPVALUE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs

ADDCOLUMNS function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Jonas_N
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak thank you for your answer. But why can't I do that? From a database perspective, isn't this just a simple JOIN with multiple tables? For each entry of the left table the entry from the right table should be appended to tableC.id == tableD.tableC_id.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jonas_N , If there are two tables on Many sides of the center 1 table. Then you can not use unsummarized from both N side tables. You can only use it from unsummarized  column from one of these tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.